cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JamieCorv
Level 4
Level 4
143 134 5 19
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Google Drive app support and FAQ for HP printers

HP Recommended

The Google Drive printer app allows you to connect to your Google Drive account, then scan and upload documents to or print documents from your Google account directly from your printer’s front panel.

For help setting up and using the Google Drive printer app on HP web-connected printers, please go to www.hp.com/go/googledrive.

I work on behalf of HP.
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Miles
Level 7
Level 7
461 412 35 130
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello JamieCorv,

Your post inspired me to check out the Google Drive printable... wow, that's cool! I can't believe how easy it was to setup and use. I can easily access my google drive and all of its treasures!

Miles
HP Employee
paulr38
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm using the app on a new HP Officejet Pro 8620 and I've found a few problems.

1. The uploaded file has no filename extension and when I try to add one, for example by adding ".PDF" I get the following error:

"The filename you specified contains special characters that are not allowed.  Modify the name and try again."

2. When using this app  the "Paper size" defaults to "letter", even though I've set the default to A4 in the admin settings for the printer.

Both these issues have also been confirmed by a colleague who has just bought the same model printer.

Is this the right place to report these issues?

0 Kudos
JamieCorv
Level 4
Author
Level 4
143 134 5 19
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello paulr38,

Thank you for your interest in the Google Drive app!

Yes, this is definitely the place to report and discuss issues.

Here are answers to your questions:

1. Do not include the file extension when renaming an upload. When uploaded, the .pdf will be added automatically. The period is the special character that is causing the failure. In Drive, the file type is denoted by the image next to the file name. For instance, a red square that says “PDF” in it. If then downloaded, you will see the .pdf extension in Windows.
  2. I’m sorry, but currently the app always defaults to letter, so you will have to change it every time. We will investigate whether we can pull a default from the firmware or country setting. If that is possible, it is a feature  that might be implemented in the future.

I work on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
paulr38
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the fast response, however I must dissagree on the first issue.

The files uploaded with this app to Google Drive do not have a .pdf extension. Google recognises them as PDF from the contents and displays them with the appropriate icon, however there is no .pdf extension, as opposed to other pdf files in Google drive. You can confirm this by loking at the file "Details" in Google Drive. I agree that if you download a file then Google proposes an appropriate filename extension in the save dialog, again, this is based on the file type that has been determined from the content.

The above is also true for scanned images in this app, i.e. they do not have a .jpg extension when uploaded to Google Drive but are recognised by Google as JPEG from the content.

This issue can be confirmed by opening your Google Drive Folder shortcut in Windows explorer on a PC. Filename extensions are not present on files uploaded to the Scanned_from_HP folder. In this case Windows doesn't recognise the file types and so they are shown with ? icons. 

0 Kudos
redsterXVI
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So letter is still the default, which is annoying enough. There's also no way to set other defaults (like 300dpi).

But what's worst is that even if you choose A4 manually, what is uploaded to Google Drive is still in letter format!

HP OfficeJet 8620, set up and updated today.

0 Kudos
AronStocker
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The last post is three years old... and nothin' changed!

I've just set up the Drive app in my printer, made the first scan, setting A4 and 300dpi, but the PDF has Letter and 100dpi! Why no one has resolved this bug? 3 years are enough to solve it!

Is there anyone from HP that could seriously consider it?

0 Kudos
kevin-t
Retired
Retired
20,511 15,846 324 971
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation