Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP deskjet 1000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all.  I would like to print an envelope with my HP Deskjet 1000, but am encountering an issue.  When I insert an envelope per the instructions, and begin printing, the printer will not grab the envelope and feed it through.  The roller spins for a couple seconds, then the printer indicates it is out of paper.  How can I troubleshooot this?

The printer prints full size A4 paper without issue.

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi! @cag8f, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you have issues printing envelopes from your printer.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

What size envelope are you printing from your printer?

I have checked the printer specification and you can only print the supported envelopes.

U.S. Number 10
105 x 241 mm (4.1 x 9.5 inches)
A2 Invitation
111 x 146 mm (4.37 x 5.75 inches)
DL
110 x 220 mm (4.33 x 8.66 inches)
C6
114 x 162 mm (4.48 x 6.38 inches)

If the issue still persists refer this article to further troubleshoot Printing Envelopes.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

>> Did you make any changes to your printer?

No, none.  I only use it to print the occasional A4 sheet of paper.

>> What size envelope are you printing from your printer?

I just measured and the size of my envelopes correspond to U.S. Number 10:  105 x 241 mm (4.1 x 9.5 inches).

>> If the issue still persists refer this article to further troubleshoot Printing Envelopes.

I followed those printing directions, specifically about how to print from Wordpad.  Unfortunately I encountered the same issue--the roller will roll, but it will not pick up and feed the envelope.  So the printer thinks it is out of paper.

Thoughts?

HP Recommended

@cag8f, It's great to hear from you again. I was waiting for your response.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Try printing from Microsoft word and check if it helps. 

Please try the steps recommended below.

The product might not pick up paper if the paper size and type in the paper tray do not match the size and type settings in the print driver. This feature of the product helps to avoid wasting ink and paper if the paper is not what you expected.
Return to the document you were trying to print when the issue occurred.
Click File, and then click Print. The Print dialog box opens.
Click the Paper/Quality tab.
From the Paper Size drop-down, make sure that the selected option matches your paper size. For example, if you have legal paper loaded in your product, select US 10 from the list.
From the Media drop-down, select the paper type that matches the paper you have loaded in the product.
Click OK to apply the settings.
Click OK from the Print dialog box to start the print job.
If the document prints, the issue is resolved, and there is no need to continue troubleshooting.
If the document prints on plain white paper, but not a special paper type, there is no need to continue troubleshooting. The problem is probably related to the paper that you were trying to print on, or possibly a connectivity problem. Review the Cause and Prevention sections at the end of this document to check other possibilities.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot Printer Does Not Pick Up or Feed Paper.

If the issue still persists, uninstall the printer software from your PC and reinstall the printer drivers.

Please update the printer software using this link.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Just getting back to this.  I tried all of your suggestions:

>> Try printing from Microsoft word and check if it helps.

I did so, but it did not help.

>> Return to the document you were trying to print when the issue occurred.
Click File, and then click Print. The Print dialog box opens.
Click the Paper/Quality tab.
From the Paper Size drop-down, make sure that the selected option matches your paper size. For example, if you have legal paper loaded in your product, select US 10 from the list.
From the Media drop-down, select the paper type that matches the paper you have loaded in the product.
Click OK to apply the settings.
Click OK from the Print dialog box to start the print job.

I tried this, but it did not help.

>> Review the Cause and Prevention sections at the end of this document to check other possibilities.

I did not see such a section at the end of your reply.

>> Refer this article to further troubleshoot Printer Does Not Pick Up or Feed Paper.

I carried out the four troubleshooting steps in that article, but none resolved my issue.

>> If the issue still persists, uninstall the printer software from your PC and reinstall the printer drivers.

I tried this, but the issue remained.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@cag8f, Thanks for your response and time.

Kudos to you for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned even after uninstalling and reinstalling the printer drivers the issue still persists.

Does the printer grab the regular paper?

Have you tried checking with a different brand envelope?

Try the steps recommended below to know how to load envelopes.

If the product is not already on, press the Power button () to turn it on.
Lift the paper tray.
Lower the output tray, and then pull the tray extender out.
Slide the paper width guide to its outermost position.
Place the envelopes on the right side of the tray with the print side up and the flap on the left.

Refer this article to know more details.

Hope you have a great day ahead!

Take care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

>> Does the printer grab the regular paper?

Can you be more specific?  I have certainly carried out many successful prints onto regular paper--screenshots from the internet, photos, documents, etc.  But all of these occurred with A4 settings on the printer and in Windows.  I have not tried to print on regular paper with printer and Windows set to envelope size--should I try that?

>> Have you tried checking with a different brand envelope?

No.

>> Try the steps recommended below to know how to load envelopes.

I have indeed been following those guidelines throughout this process.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@cag8f, It's great to hear from you again. I was indeed waiting for your response.

Yes, I would suggest you print on regular paper with settings set to envelope size.

Also, Try printing with a different brand envelope and check if it helps.

I'll watch your reply!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay.

>> Yes, I would suggest you print on regular paper with settings set to envelope size.

OK I tried this, and the printer did indeed print grab, feed through, and print on the regular paper.

>> Also, Try printing with a different brand envelope and check if it helps.

It sounds like this is the final option?  This will probably take a long time to test, if at all.  I'll give it a shot though.

Thanks for all your help.

HP Recommended

@cag8f, It's been great to hear from you again.

Please try few steps recommended below.

1. Make sure the output tray is open.
2. Slide the paper guide all the way to the left.
3. Place the envelopes on the right side of the tray. The side to be printed on should face
up. The flap should be on the left side.
4. Push the envelopes into the printer until they stop.
5. Slide the paper guide firmly against the edge of the envelopes
6. Click the button that opens the Properties dialog box.
Depending on your software application, this button might be called Properties,
Options, Printer Setup, Printer, or Preferences.
7. Select the appropriate options.
• On Paper/Quality tab select a Plain paper type.
• Click the Advanced button, and select the appropriate envelope size from the
Paper Size drop down menu.
8. Click OK, and then click Print or OK in the Print dialog box.

Refer the printer user guide for more information.

Note: Refer page 9 for more information.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. Please try printing using a different brand envelope.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.