cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
translator82
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP 3520 offline and now I've changed the port and can't change it back

HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 3520

Essentially I can't print anything as I keep getting a message saying that either the printer is off (it itsn't) or it's offline. I was printing things fine before this happened and nothing has changed in the mean time.

I tried to follow the instructions in a help document someone posted for someone else having the same problem but I seem to have made the issue worse. I thought maybe the wrong port was selected so I went into printer properties and changed this from a wirless port to the usb option. I thought that maybe the printer was usb but I now realised it must be wireless. However, I no longer have the option of changing the port back again as when I go to printer properties I don't get the option of looking at or changing anything to do with the ports. I'm at my wits end. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
33,312 26,667 2,425 8,966
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please read this post then provide some details.  What operating system? If you are using a recent version of Windows the Print and Scan Doctor available at http://www.hp.com/go/tools may help resolve the issue.

In Windows you can find the port information my going to the printers folder, right click on the desired printer, select Printer Properties, Ports. 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

0 Kudos
translator82
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Bob and thanks for your reply. Sorry I've been slow in getting back to you. I have a big deadline looming and was trying to get the portion of work that I won't need a printer for underway.

I am using Windows 10 - I have been shutting down and installing the automatic updates like you're supposed to do. I  have no idea what service pack revision is which probably means I haven't done a service pack revision.  I think the printer is wireless in that it is not connected to my computer (although it's plugged in at the wall).

I think I've managed to change the port back - I chose "WSD port". Is this the right one for wireless printing?

But the printer is "greyed out" in the devices and printer window and it's still saying its offline. I used the ScanDoctor tool you linked to and have downloaded some software updates. I am now going through the setup process as if the printer was brand new. When I get to the bit about setting up the connection it asks me to connect the printer to the computer with a usb cable temporarily but I don't think I have one to hand. It was working fine a few days ago too which also makes me think that shouldn't be necessary. Any ideas what to do next?

Thanks again for all your help so far!

0 Kudos
Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
33,312 26,667 2,425 8,966
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The WSD port is likely the correct area, there may be an issue if the IP address of the printer changed.  You may need to borrow a USB port to set the pritner up once again.

Another possibility would be to go to the Devices and Printers folder and Add a Printer.  Let it find the printer on the network.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation