Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 3830

My new printer is acting irrational.  I hit the power button' then "shut down" on screen.  The screen says "Shutting Down" with the black & white blocks below. Not moving. Screen is frozen. You try to press buttons but nothing shows. Power button does nothing. Eight hours later I had it unplugged. It reset and was fine. Presses the power button and same thing happened. 

I pi don't want to continually leave it on as the light on the screen bothers me but mainly it resets every thirty minutes. So the printer is in use all the time, technically. 

Any idea why it doesn't like powering down?  Is this a defective unit or a known but fixable issue?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Greetings @PinkiPad

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that your printer it not powering down even after you press the power button. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

Are you facing any print quality issues?

How is the printer connected to your computer? (USB or wireless.)

Are you using a surge protector to connect the printer?

If you are using a surge protector, request you disconnect it and connect the printer's power cable to the wall outlet directly. 

If the issue persists, connect the printer to a Windows computer using a USB cable and update the firmware on the printer. Click here for the drivers page to download the firmware. 

After the firmware update is installed on the printer, if you still face the same issue, please contact our phone support for the service options. 

Please follow the procedure mentioned below to contact our phone support. 

• Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/
  • Enter Product number or select to auto detects
  • Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
  • Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

Let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
It's wireless, prints fine and no surge protector. I can't call and talk on the phone.

Is it freezing as it is normal?

Thank you
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, whenever you press the power button to power off the printer, it usually takes couple minutes, which is absolutely normal. 

However, as suggested earlier, you can update the firmware on the printer by downloading it from HP drivers page. 

Please make sure the printer is connected to your computer running on Windows using a USB cable. 

Hope this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
  • Updated, used USB cable, and when I power it down, it says Shutting Down with the bars not moving.   I'm looking at it now and I pressed the power button a few hours ago 
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. This seems to be a hardware issue. Recommend you to contact our phone support for any service options available. 

Please follow the procedure mentioned below to contact our phone support. 

• Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/
  • Enter Product number or select to auto detects
  • Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
  • Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

Keep me posted. 

Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Can't talk on the phone due to disability. 

HP Recommended

Hi @PinkiPad

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.