Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Still no joy! 

Went thru the entire process and get the same error message. 

Connected the printer to another computer, an XP and got the same error message, although the code was different.

I can't thank you enough for your assistance and efforts on my behalf.  Happily, I have another printer, an Epson, which I can use for scanning.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

I am more than happy to help but sorry that didn't do the trick.  This is my last simple suggestion before it gets technical.  

Step 1: Uninstall everything and reboot the PC, once again.

Step 2: Wait for the PC to fully reboot and disable your firewall and antivirus (temporarily).

Step 3: Go into User Accounts from your Control Panel and create a new user with admin rights.  I will provide a link that goes into much better detail than I am offering.  

Step 4: After you create the new user account, install the printer, try to scan, and when it fails or if it is successful, remember to re-enable your antivirus and/or firewalls and let me know how it goes!

--Printer Installation Error--

I will be referring you back to this for some more elaborate steps if this doesn't work but they will have to be modified since you are on an HP computer. Just follow the instructions on how to create a new user if you need them and try the installation again as well as the scan, and with the anti-virus off I will be able to tell if this is a problem with the computer.  Please do take note of the error because it is more important for me to have it now than in any previous steps.  I really hope this works!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

Please define "everything."  The word scares me and I sure don't want to create additional problems for us to resolve.

HP Recommended

🙂  Uninstall all of the software related to your printer.  

**To specify - everything meaning everything you just installed. Sorry about that.

HP Recommended

Gotcha.  Will do and get back to you.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your staying with me on this.

HP Recommended

You are very welcome.  Keep in mind this can get very extensive and I will do my best to help avoid that.  Try the steps above about the extra user account and let me know if you have any questions about it.  A common "flaw" that could have been the cause of all of this is when a user will uninstall a printer's software (and this happens with games and programs too), then tries to re-installed, the left-over files in the registry makes the installation "think" certain components are still installed when they are not. 

In the "printer installation" link I provided above, you will see the next step if this does not work.  I will rewrite it for your specific needs so no need to follow it, I just want you to see that I am here until it is fixed and this is where it goes from here.  That is the way I am.  If I get stumped, I will seek advice internally.  This can get really hard. I will remain hopeful the new User Account will help completely resolve this issue for you. 🙂

HP Recommended
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!

Success at last. Can't tell you how much your efforts are appreciated. Thanks for sticking with me and getting this resolved.
HP Recommended

Accept as solution.

HP Recommended

:catvery-happy: OH That is great news!! I am so happy that worked for you!  Even better is you didn't have to do surgery!  I want it to remain this way, so remember this: do not uninstall the printer now.

If you have any problems, it is far easier to work with what you have and go from there.  Watch for things like virus scans to knock off communication but do continue to do them, just be aware of that.  If this does happen again, come back to the forums and be reluctant to uninstall if someone tells you that because using this User Account to allow communication is like a golden ticket - it only works once in some cases.  These are helpful tips to help you maintain scanner communication now.  If you need any further assistance I am more than happy to help out here. 

Happy Scanning!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.