Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2515
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi all.  I have a HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2515 All-in-One Printer and I am trying to install an HP 61 ink cartridge. I was told by HP pre-sales support that it could use HP 61 ink, but the printer is not recognizing the cartridge. The previously working ink cartridge was an HP 678 cartridge.  There may be some regional issues at play here, but I'd just like to find out for sure. 

Of note:

• The printer serial number is [Personal Information Removed].
  • I am located in Thailand.  But that doesn't necessarily mean that the unit was made/sold in Thailand.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

The HP 678 ink cartridges are intended for HP Deskjet Ink Advantage printers, the HP 61 ink cartridges are intended for HP Deskjet printers only.. you can only use the HP 678 ink cartridges and those are available in Thailand.

The HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2515 only uses the HP 678 ink cartridges in Asia Pacific (or other numbers in different countries), but not the HP 61 ink cartridges, those cannot be used with the printer, as listed by Suresupply below:

https://h22203.www2.hp.com/suresupply/?searchTerm=HP-Deskjet-Ink-Advantage-2515-All-in-One-Printer

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  It sounds consistent with what I'm experiencing.  But for the future:

>> The HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2515 only uses the HP 678 ink cartridges in Asia Pacific

Can you clarify this--what exactly do you mean by "in?"  Does the printer geolocate itself and determine its current location?  Or is the printer permanently tied to a region, based on where it was manufactured or sold?  If the latter, in the future, how can I determine what region my HP printer is tied to?  I live in Thailand, in an area with a very diverse international community.  People from Thailand, the US, Russia, Korea, the UK, and elsewhere all live here, and many have brought with them the equipment they purchased in those countries.  So just because I'm in the Asia Pacific region doesn't mean I'm always using Asia Pacific products.

>> but not the HP 61 ink cartridges, those cannot be used with the printer

Are you sure about this?  What if I purchased this printer in the US--would it use 61 ink?  I ask only because a couple days ago I chatted with an HP US sales agent, and she told me that the HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2515 All-in-One Printer took HP 61 ink.  I have a transcript of that chat--it was session ID 3340476.  I'm just bringing it up because it seems like I'm receiving conflicting information, which is adding to my confusion.

>> as listed by Suresupply below:
https://h22203.www2.hp.com/suresupply/?searchTerm=HP-Deskjet-Ink-Advantage-2515-All-in-One-Printer

How did you find that Sure Supply page?  When I type in "HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2515 All-in-One Printer" to SureSupply, it only shows results for "HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2010 Printer- K010a (which indicate HP 61 ink).  In the future, I would like to use SureSupply to determine what ink I need.  But why isn't it finding my printer?

Thanks again for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Most HP printers are provided with different ink cartridges in different regions, based on the country where the printer was sold.

If it is an official HP product and not any Grey Import or anything similar, if you bought it in Thailand it will use the ink cartridges for Thailand.

You may find the following document which refer ink cartridge usage in any country:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01766411

The HP Deskjet Ink Advantage Series is only available in specific markets such as Asia Pacific, Latin America, etc.

The Deskjet Ink Advantage series is not available in North America, therefore it is likely tha a US Sales agent will be more familier only with local products and therefore the confusion.

The HP Deskjet 2510 is available in North America (which uses HP 61), HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2515 is a completely different model which uses HP 678, see the document above as a reference.

When you open SureSupply, select your current region within the bottom right corner of the screen, then the search results will list the currect information for your location..

Hope it make more sense now,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your time.

>> You may find the following document which refer ink cartridge usage in any country:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01766411

I visited that site and changed my region to Thailand.  I am still unable to find the HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2515 All-in-One Printer.  The closest is a HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2010 Printer - K010a.

>> If it is an official HP product and not any Grey Import or anything similar, if you bought it in Thailand it will use the ink cartridges for Thailand.

The problem is, in my area, I see many second or even third hand units.  And the vendor and I frequently do not speak the same language.  So asking the vendor, "Where was this purchased" isn't very easy.  Is there any way I can look up any identifying info from the unit (e.g. printer serial number) to determine the printer's region?  Many times the printers are sold without ink cartridges.  In those cases, how would I determine what ink it takes?

Also, I'm trying to click 'Kudos' to each of your posts, but it doesn't seem to be registering.  How can I give Kudos to your posts?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi,

By selecting Thailand and searching for 2515 I'm able to find the printer with no issues:

Capture.JPG

I suggest clearing your browser's cache and try again or try searching with a different web browser.

What ink cartridge numbers are listed within the ink cartridge access door? if it list 678, this is the correct ink cartridge you should use for your printer.

The 678 ink cartridges are avaialble at the local stores as well as at hp.com:

http://www8.hp.com/th/en/products/oas/product-detail.html?oid=5234337&jumpid=reg_r1002_then_c-002_ti...

http://www8.hp.com/th/en/products/oas/product-detail.html?oid=5234339&jumpid=reg_r1002_then_c-002_ti...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.