Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 7 (6,552 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP 6500A Plus - Automatic Duplexing

Purchased this for a friend, but cannot get the automatic duplexing to work. Says it is installed and will allow you to do manual duplexing!! Obviously I'm not the only one who has experienced problems since HP issued a guideline covering XP, Vista and Windows 7 (what we're running) under the title of "Two-Sided Print Option Is Not Available Even Though an Automatic Two-Sided Printing Accessory (Duplex) Is Installed".

Step One of this instruction can be fulfilled. Step Two is from another world!! There is no 'Features' tab on our menu and therefore we are unable to proceed!!

Can someone in HP please look into this soonest as they have a very dissatisfied customer who lives about 85 miles away from me. Any help would be much appreciated.

Interestingly, although the duplex option is installed and confirmed as installed, when you go to the print options and look at the finishing tab - no duplex is shown???

Regards

Brian Cameron

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: HP 6500A Plus - Automatic Duplexing

Hi All,

Here is wht I want you all to do:

1) From the printer Setup menu look under "Reports" menu and select the option "Printer Status Report". Once it prints out look for the option "Duplexer". It should say "Installed". 

2) In the computer, close all the windows which are open like Word, Acrobat etc

3) Double click the printer icon which you see on the computer screen. Open Printer actions and then open "Customize your Printer"

4) Click on "Device Settings" tab. Here "Two Sided Printing" or "Duplexer" should say "Installed" or Automatic" and if you see "Manual Duplex" this should read "Disabled". Click Apply and click OK

5) Click on "Set your Preferences"

6) Check for the option "Print on both sides" or something like that. For this option select "Flip on Short Edge"

7) Also click on "Advance" button and look for any reference to two sided printing. 

8) Click Apply and click OK. Now try printing.

If it resolves your problem, but it prints upside down, from the application Click on File ==> Print ==> Select the printer ==> Click on Properties. Here select "Flip on Long Edge" and then try printing.

Note: Legal size paper cannot be used for duplex printing. Try with Letter size or A4 size paper.

View solution in context
Student
Message 2 of 7 (6,505 Views)

I was experiencing the same problem, but I think by "Automatic Duplexing" they simply mean that you don't have to manually filp the paer to print on both sides.  I don't think it refers to the fact that you don't have to select duplexing from the menu.  I have not been able to find a way to set "duplexing" as the default.

PhD Student
Message 3 of 7 (6,492 Views)

Hi All,

Here is wht I want you all to do:

1) From the printer Setup menu look under "Reports" menu and select the option "Printer Status Report". Once it prints out look for the option "Duplexer". It should say "Installed". 

2) In the computer, close all the windows which are open like Word, Acrobat etc

3) Double click the printer icon which you see on the computer screen. Open Printer actions and then open "Customize your Printer"

4) Click on "Device Settings" tab. Here "Two Sided Printing" or "Duplexer" should say "Installed" or Automatic" and if you see "Manual Duplex" this should read "Disabled". Click Apply and click OK

5) Click on "Set your Preferences"

6) Check for the option "Print on both sides" or something like that. For this option select "Flip on Short Edge"

7) Also click on "Advance" button and look for any reference to two sided printing. 

8) Click Apply and click OK. Now try printing.

If it resolves your problem, but it prints upside down, from the application Click on File ==> Print ==> Select the printer ==> Click on Properties. Here select "Flip on Long Edge" and then try printing.

Note: Legal size paper cannot be used for duplex printing. Try with Letter size or A4 size paper.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
Message 4 of 7 (6,468 Views)

This worked perfectly - and first time. Many, many thanks. I never set the printer up to have manual duplexing and this was obviously the issue. With so many people having the same issue, is it just a possibility that the software - when loading is doing the manual duplexing bit.

Thanks again

Squintnose

PhD Student
Message 5 of 7 (6,461 Views)

Hi,

I am glad the solution worked for you. I believe when the s/w is installed, "Print on both sides" is set to "None". This could be the reason why it does not work. We need to select the option "Flip on long edge" manually during printing so that the printer prints on both sides automatically.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Student
Message 6 of 7 (4,369 Views)

hi

I tried to follow your instruction, but I don't see Duplex option under Device Setting Tab. All there is paper size and Automatic Duplexer installed or not.  What am I supposed to do from here?

Student
Message 7 of 7 (2,425 Views)

hi hp printer 6500aplus automatic duplexing printer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation