Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

In December 2013, I purchased an HP 7610 wide format printer and have been using it for home use.

In mid February 2014, I tried to scan a fairly large document, but the scan was defective.  It included a duplicated strip down the vertical center of the scan.  I contacted HP support and they eventually decided it was a hardware problem and are going to send me a new printer.

MY PROBLEM:  In order to return the printer, I'll need to remove the paper tray extender in order to fit the printer in the shipping box.  The extender was installed simply by sliding it into the printer until it "clicked".  Once installed, the paper tray extender can be pulled out to accommodate large size paper.  But it can only be pulled out so far and then it reaches a hard stop.

MY QUESTION:  How do I get the paper tray extender out of the printer so I can box the printer up for shipment?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi there richmn,

I saw your post about removing the paper tray/extender on your Officejet 7610. After examining my Officejet 7610, it appears as though the tray and extender are now permanent after being installed. I would not force the tray out.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I agree that I don't want to force the tray out.  I'm afraid something would break if I forced it.  I was hoping there was a gentle way of removing it.

HP Recommended

A couple of notes:

1)  It is necessary to get the paper tray extender out of the printer in order to fit it into the box to ship it back to HP.

2)  It is possible to get it out in one piece.

I have now received the replacement printer.  By comparing the failed printer with the unassembled replacement printer right out of the box, I was able to figure out how to disassemble it.

NOTE:  It may be possible for one person to do the following steps, but if you read through the procedure, it will probably become evident that it really works best if there are two pairs of hands.

1.  Disconnect all the cables from the printer in order to avoid crushing them or damaging the printer in the following steps.

2.  Tip the printer so it rests on its back in order to gain access to the bottom of the print tray extender drawer.

3.  Start with the extender inserted all the way into the printer.

4.  Pull the extender out a little bit, maybe 1 1/2 inches or so.

5.  Reach inside the extender and slide the slides on either side of the extender down into the printer to facilitate the next step.

6.  From outside of the extender (the bottom of the printer) gently pull both slides a little toward the outsides, maybe just 1/4 inch or so.  In the normal use of the extender, as it is pulled out, a feature on each slide enters a groove that is part of the body of the printer.  As the extender is pulled out further, a feature on the slide hits the end of the groove in the body and prevents the extender from being pulled out any further.  The purpose of this step is to prevent this from happening as the extender is pulled out.

7.  Again from the outside of the extender, reach your finger tips under the bottom edge of the extender tray, pull it slightly away from the bottom of the printer and slide it up out of the printer while at the same time pulling the slides outward as in step 6.  Once the slides have successfully avoided entering the groove that is part of the printer body as the extender is pulled out, you can release them to follow the rest of the extender out of the printer.  The reason for pulling the extender away from the bottom of the printer is to prevent the four features on the inside bottom of the extender from catching on features in the bottom of the printer body and preventing it from coming out.

8.  If the above steps were successful, you should now have the print tray extender in your hands, free of the printer.

HP Recommended

Great instructions - thank you!

HP Recommended

this was a great help - thanks!

HP Recommended

The below instructions worked perfectly.  You definately need two people to do this but it worked on the first try.  Thank you for the information!

HP Recommended

Sorry Wrong Printer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.