cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
gizmoo
2 1 0 0
Message 11 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP 8500 Scan to Network Folder set up

I am having the same problems with setting up the scan to network folder and have not resolved it. However, in the process, like you did, created several folders and paths. Go to your EWS page, Settings, Network folder setup and there you can check the box of the path you don't want and delete. Deleting folders off your desktop is as per normal. Hope that helps and in the meantime maybe someone can help our setup issues? I'm working with Windows 7, a new HP Pavilion Elite and the 8500 wireless. Same error; ensure remote computer is turned on and I am a one user, one computer, one printer, one router. I've tried all the fixes suggested and no go.

0 Kudos
deadeye_jb
1 1 0 2
Message 12 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I fixed this on my new printer and thought I'd share what I did.  Essentially, I forced the scanner to refer to the machine with the network share by IP address rather than by it's name.  to do this, I had to follow the instructions listed below to make the setting change through the printer's embedded web interface.  When i tried using IP instead of machine name in the solution center interface, it took the IP but convered it back to the machine name when it saved the setting.  It did not convert it back to the machine name from the printer (probably because it couldn't resolve it which was the whole problem anyway). 

Feel bad for those less technical that probably have been on tech support calls for hours with no resolution on this.  Too bad HP has nothing official on this .. hope it helps someone.

Please try this:

5 Get the IP Address of your printer and the IP address of your machine hosting the shared folder

6. Open INTERNET EXPLORER and type the IP ADDRESS of your printer on the address line and press ENTER.

7. In the Embedded Web Server of the printer, click on the SETTINGS TAB and click on DIRECT DIGITAL FILING.

8. Edit one of the entries to use \\IPaddress\sharefoldedname  where ipaddress is that of the machine with the share you are trying to access (instead of the defaule of \\machinename\sharedfoldername)

GizmoGirl
1 1 0 1
Message 13 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I stumbled upon a solution for this issue.  I don't know if it will work for you, but it did work for me.  On your desktop (or wherever it is on your computer), go to "My Computer".   Once that is open, you will see several options including "8500 A909g.........."  Double click on that and then you have lots of options to scan. Put the item you wish to scan in the feeder and you're on your way!   I was ready to throw out my printer until I found this solution.  Hope it works for you!!

tcarpen451
1 1 0 0
Message 14 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

deadeye_jb,

Thanks for sharing that.  I did as you instructed and that solved my problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jagjpc
3 3 0 0
Message 15 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

fail, there are no printers listed in "my computer" just drives. No idea what this fixes .

Where can you actually enable this "Activate scan to computer" crap it keeps saying to do. The option just isnt listed anywhere in any of this software.

0 Kudos
glnz
Level 4
123 90 0 4
Message 16 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having this problem on my Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g on Win XP Pro SP3.  The above symptoms exactly.  Experimented with the XP firewall completely off - no help.  Tried 192.168.1.42 instead of computer name - no help.  Uninstalled and reinstalled the HP programming - no help.

In every other respect, the HP works fine from my PC.

What's the problem??

0 Kudos
OJ8500Guru
1 1 0 0
Message 17 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've had the same problem running WIndows XP SP3, and finally was able to get this to work after an hour of reading other posts and trial and error.  Here is what worked for me.

The issue is in windows networking. 

1.)  Right click on the folder you want to be the network folder for scans (e.g. My Scans under My Documents Folder)

2.)  Select properties

3.)  Click on the Security Tab at the top

4.)  Click on the "Add" button  in the middle of the window

5.)  Add the work NETWORK to the user list

6.)  In dialogue box below select the box for "Full Control"

7.)  Click OK

Rerun Network Folder set-up either form the HP Officejet 8500A software

"C:\Program Files\HP\HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910\Bin\HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910.exe"

or

The HP Officejet 8500A Web Server

http://192.168.1.xxx (which will be the IP address of your printer.  You can get this off of the touchscreen display of your printer by pressing the wireless icon (2nd from the lft of 4 buttons, looks like an antenna radiating 2 signal waves).

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation