Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to set up the scan to email on my printer and when it asks me to enter my gmail user id and password for the email verification it keeps coming back "Error the username and password are incorrect". Those same credentials log me into my email just fine. I even changed my password and tried again. I got the same message.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,
Gmail had recently changed several security options which may block the printer from connecting to their servers.

First open the following link and ensure you are logged on to the same account as you are setting for the printer.
https://myaccount.google.com/

Within the Signing in section ensure that "2-Step Verification" is set as "Off", as well ensure that "Access for less secure apps" is set as "Allowed", otherwise the verification will fail.

Within the Recent activity section click on "Devices", if you see any blocked connection attempt (it will be highlighted in red) click on Yes and follow the steps by allowing access for less secure apps...

Once you are done run a test for the outgoing user profile and check if the problem been resolved.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,
Gmail had recently changed several security options which may block the printer from connecting to their servers.

First open the following link and ensure you are logged on to the same account as you are setting for the printer.
https://myaccount.google.com/

Within the Signing in section ensure that "2-Step Verification" is set as "Off", as well ensure that "Access for less secure apps" is set as "Allowed", otherwise the verification will fail.

Within the Recent activity section click on "Devices", if you see any blocked connection attempt (it will be highlighted in red) click on Yes and follow the steps by allowing access for less secure apps...

Once you are done run a test for the outgoing user profile and check if the problem been resolved.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have recently had th same issues configuring an HP OfficeJet Pro 8740.  Using Gmail SMTP account as well.

Logged into the same gmail account and verified that 2-set verification is turned off and Allow less secure apps is ON.

However I am currently getting:

Incorrect credentials. Check your username/password and try again.

I am logged into the very same email account I would be using to authenticate for SMTP.

Email:  ******@gmail.com

Email Server:  smtp.gmail.com

Port:  587

(CHECKED)  Always use secure connection (SSL/TLS)

(UNCHECKED)  Validate server certificate

Maximum Size of Email - 10MB

Server requires authentication

----Username:  ******@gmail.com

----Password:   ******

HP Recommended

Hi @ChaseAyers,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with scan to email setup from your HP OfficeJet 6950 All-in-One Printer.

This issue could occur scan to email is not configured properly or the printer might not be connected to the network.

Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you listed on page no. 13 and 14 of the user guide in the link: User Guide

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.