Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP A516
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, the printer will not recognise SD cards larger than 2Mb.
Is there a firmware update to fix this?
Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@yancart

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Photosmart A516 Compact Photo Printer and it does not recognize SD cards which are larger than 2MB. I'll surely hep you with this case.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Have you tested the printer with multiple memory cards?
  • Do you know the file format of in the memory card?

Meanwhile, I did some research and found that the following memory cards are compatible:

• CompactFlash Type I and II
  • Memory Sticks
  • Microdrive
  • MultiMediaCard
  • Secure Digital
  • SmartMedia
  • xD-Picture Card

Memory card supported file formats: All supported image and video file formats for printing. Saving: All file formats

I suggest you to refer to this HP Document which contains detailed information for troubleshooting memory card issues.

Hope this information helps. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks but that doesnt really really help as I tried several of the formats incl the SD cards, CF type2 and the Micro drive cards. All of these work fine if they are 2Gb or less in size, but anything greater than 2Gb and the there is an error message with the card type and nothing can be viewed or printed.

Is it not possible to upgrade the firmware on these printers to read cards greater tha 2Gb?

I use the printer standalone alot ie. without a PC so this will be very useful.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello, @yancart

I see that you were interacting with @MKazi. He is out office and I'd like to be of your assistance 🙂

I am afraid there is no firmware update available for your printer. Please check the printer driver / firmware page here: http://hp.care/2qGIwOF 

Since this is a very old model printer, It could be possible that the printer hardware is limited to accept the SD cards which are less than 2GB.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.