Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@cayesie wrote:

I too have this same problem,tried all the sugguestions that have helped some of you but my HP is about to get thrown out the window...all my cartridges are made in singapore...so this is not the problem HP...unless you can supply an answer to really fix this Im seriousley taking it out"office space style" and never buying HP again,as I have had a few other problems leading up to this and the cartridges are not cheap.My sister has a nice simple all in one that never messes up and she can get her ink cartridges refilled!!!!

Hi cayesie, is the error message referencing a cartridge? (color or mono?). I presume you've tried cleaning the cartridge contacts and the printer carriage contacts? What are the warranty ends dates on the cartridges? Check out this link to find the location of the date.

Figure 3: Cartridge contacts
Cartridge contacts
  • Clean the contacts in the carriage.
    Figure 4: Carriage contacts
    Carriage contacts
I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

@Nathandgray wrote:

"refer to printer documentation"

Photosmart Express window is telling me I have the wrong color ink cartridge!!! I have cleaned the contacts,

unplugged printer and started over, changed cartridges, but nothing changed!!!

Hi Nathandgray, have you contacted HP phone support about this issue? You can first check the cartridges are in warranty by checking the warranty ends date..

Wty ends dates.jpg

HP Recommended

@Rogerret wrote:

Ever since I bought my C5280 back in 2004, the tri color cartridge was always green. When I purchased a box of two black and one tri color, this cartridge is now blue. My Ink cartridges are 56 for Black and 57 for Tri Color. I get the Refer to Printer Documentation. I am not sure on what to do, and if you can give me some information on what to do, will appreciate it so much. I cannot get the printer to run and match up alliment. Thanks for your time.

Hi Rogerret,

Will it print at all?, or is it just showing an error message?

Thanks, Ciara

HP Recommended

@morrismen wrote:

SNIP

If you check your old HP cartridge and it has a grey/gold date time printed on it above the terminal connection e.g. L 12 2 06:30:55 - This appears to be an original HP cartridge. The new cartridge does not have this information on the cartridge.

A HP Cartridge (made in Malaysia) professing to be a HP cartridge does not work. Is it a copy of an official HP cartridge - why does it not have the date time on it? A HP cartridge made in Singapore does work fine and it date time stamped.

f) Allow affected customers to call HP Customer Service for a replacement, verify the cartridge is a failed one, and thereby replace free of charge and thereby provide the HP Customer Service required.

Hi morrismen,

If you believe you've been sold counterfeits, I would suggest that you report it at the following link

http://www.hp.com/sbso/product/supplies/whybuy_fraud.html?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen

If there's anything further I can do to help follow up, let me know

Ciara

HP Recommended

Yes I did clean all these places with alcohol swabs.....but what does it matter the cartridge waranty dates?As when this problem first occured I replaced the cartridges with new ones and it is still not working

HP Recommended

Hi cayesie

So if the error occurs on multiple sets of cartridges then it's likely a printer problem. After the cleaning did you reset the printer?

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I've replace my black cartrige with 140XL and now I get the message of "Refer to printer documentation" error on my printer's screen.

Hope you can help me with this problem.

Esmé

HP Recommended

Don't waste your time looking for the stupid warranty dates, or doing a semi-reset.  This is the solution that worked for me:

take them both out

wait for it to ask for color

put in color

wait for it to ask for black

put in black

print alignment

works

edit: forget it... after a SUCCESSFUL alignment print, the error is back and I can't print anything new 

HP Recommended

I have problem in my printer, always massage coming "Print Cartridge" refer to printer documentation. I done few things still problem has not gone. I can not print anything now. I always replace HP original cartridges.Please give me any solution to resolve my problem. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.