Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP M177fw
Microsoft Windows XP

I can not scan or copy. The printer is just showing a message on the display of "calibrating" I have not had any paper jams or changed any toners. I tried a hard reset to see if that would resolve the issue but it did not. I have the printer connected wirelessly. I have only had the unit for 2 weeks. 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @2stressed,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I would like to assist you today with resolving the 'calibrating' message that you're getting on your HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177fw. This issue may be due to a print system issue within your HP Laserjet, or a programming issue within the printer. To isolate and resolve this issue can I please have you follow the steps below.

Step 1: Manually Remove Cartridges:

1. Turn the printer OFF
  2. Open the top cover on your printer so you can see the toner cartridges
  3. On the left hand side of the black frame you will see a picture of the printer
  4. To the right of the picture you will see an oval hole with a white plastic piece inside it
  5. Use something to push down on the white plastic piece
  6. While pushing down on the white plastic piece, use your hand to rotate the carousel backwards.
  7. Avoid touching the toner, but grab the handle of the cartridge and remove it
  8. Set the cartridges on a piece of paper
  9. Continue to rotate the carousel until all cartridges have been removed
  10. Once all cartridges have been removed, please close the cartridge access lid. Please leave the cartridges out of the printer for now.

177manualrotatetoners.png

Step 2: Power Reset:

1. With the cartridge removed from the printer turn the printer ON
  2. The printer may come on to an 'install cartridges' message, just ignore this for now
  3. With the printer ON, disconnect the power cable from the rear of the printer for 1 minute
  4. Plug the power cable back in
  5. The printer will start back up on its own
  6. Once the printer comes on you should see another prompt to install the missing cartridges
  7. Lift the lid on the printer and install each cartridge in the colour coded slot

How to Install Cartridges

Once the cartridges are installed please test your printer to verify if the issue has been resolved.

Please respond to this post with the result of manually removing the cartridges and resetting your printer. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I was really hoping that it would fix the problem but it did not 😞 

HP Recommended

Hey @2stressed,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue. I'm sorry to hear that the steps I provided failed to resolve the 'calibrating' message on the front panel of the printer.

At this time I would like to you to check the power going to your HP Laserjet. Please ensure that the power cable for your printer is going directly into a wall outlet. Power strips and surge protectors can cause HP printers to lack power and not perform properly. Should your printer still not function properly after checking the power, please check your Private Messages. I am going to send you a Private Message with the instructions on how to perform an NVRAM Programming Reset on your HP Laserjet. Please refer to your Private Messages for further instruction.

Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I had an all in one printer for 15 years (never had any problems with it) so yes I do have it plugged directly into the wall outlet. Sorry I think I'm getting a bit frustrated.

I checked my private messages and performed the NVRAM Programming Reset as you suggested. That did not work

either 😞

I have also done a compete uninstall and reinstall. That did not work either.

This is so frustrating. I have never had so many problems with a printer.

HP Recommended

Hey @2stressed,

Unfortunately, the 'calibrating' error state that you have on your printer is a hardware issue. Therefore, any software troubleshooting (such as uninstalling and reinstalling) will have no impact on this issue.

At this time we have exhausted the support options available over the forums. I would strongly recommend that you contact our Technical Support queue by phone to explore hardware replacement options.

HP Technical Support can be reached at: 800-474-6836.

If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

HP Worldwide Contact

When you speak with the phone support agent please advise them of all the troubleshooting steps you have completed and the results of those steps.

It has been a pleasure working with you. I wish you luck going forward with this! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I'm sorry I got cranky I was just so very frustrated when I sent that message.

I want to THANK YOU for everything you've done to try to help me through this.

HP Recommended

Hello @2stressed,

No worries about being a bit cranky! 🙂

I totally understand your frustrations when you rely on these machines and they decide that they don't want to cooperate. I apologize that I was not able to resolve the error state on your machine. However, I do strongly encourage you to speak with our Technical Support queue by phone to see if there is any way this issue can be rectified for you.

Should you require further assistance in the future please do not hesitate to reach out to the HP Support Forums. Have a nice day! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Update:

I spoke with Tech Support that evening and after trying some other things with them they decided the unit was defective.

Thank you for your help 🙂 

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue--scanning and copying functions do not work at all.  I've done the manually reset with the toner as well as verified that the machine is plugged directly into the wall.

Any other suggestions?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.