Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Color Laserjet 3800dn
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

For the very first time I needed to replace a tonercartridge, yellow, part# 503A / Q7582A, $ 200.

Am printing very modest volumes only. After carefully inserting the cartridge, the printer reported a "10.92.03 Cartridges Not Engaged"-error. Re-inserted the cartridge a few times, removed all cartridges and re-inserted them, switching printer off/on a few times. Error remained.

Contacted HP.

They advised this error was known to them, specifically when replacing the yellow tonercartridge.

However, as they did and do not service the printer anymore, they could not help me out.

I explained that I am now stuck with a 200 dollar toner-cartridge, which obviously the reseller wouldn't take back (opened box) and asked if they could not help me out on this.

If I were to send them the (opened) box with the new, unused, cartridge and they would replace it with a new one, I would get my money back. No problem with paying some administrative charge or so.

After all the problem was caused by a known printer defect. 

There was no way they wanted to assist.

Major disappointment !

Very much doubt my new printer will be from HP and will definitely not recommend my friends to buying one.

SnagIt-24042015 104220.png

-

Notes, for further info:

a) look on www.icareasc.com  for a document named : 10_92.pdf

a video ('tonerlock3.wmv') is available on:

b) ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software8/COL17123/lj-45472-1/tonerlock3.wmv

c) if the locks are black (old version) it may be worthwhile to replace all cartridge locks partnr. Q5982-67925

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Your printer came out 10 years ago.  HP provided a free fix of the issue for about 3 years.  I have repaired a number of these over the last 8 years and as with anything over time parts will fail.  One thing users can try which works about 25% of the time is to take a wire snipper and cut off the excess wire they see in the opening.  That sometimes allows the locks to go down to the point where you do not get the error.  Since it is only happening with the yellow slot that would indicate all the others are fine.  Another thing users can try is to remove the yellow toner and then turn on the printer.  The error should not appear.  When the printer comes to where it is asking for the yellow toner, hit the menu key and scroll to the diagnostics menu and choose the item disable cartridge check.  When the printer says ready, diagnostics mode, open the toner door and insert the new yellow toner.  The printer should now work, however, there is a small chance the yellow print may be a little off, but since it is the lighest color it may not make a difference.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.