cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 3
83 51 1 7
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP DESIGNJET T620 79:04 Error

I replaced  a PSU on an HP T620. 

Putting back together I made a simple error - putting what  I though were coloour coded IDC connectors in the colour coded sockets. The cartridge service station  and ink Service station got mxed up

At the time it  seemed wrong and it was.

The white and black plugs for in the black and white sockets  counter to what you might expect.

I powered it up and got to 100% on the boot up and got a 79:04  error.

I reconnected the cables in the correct order and still got a 79:04 error.

I changed the main board and it did not clear it. 

Im left wondering what to change next or test next.

Is there damage to the formatter or one of the sub assemblies ?  is the disk image corupt ? 

I suspect the ink service - but I am not so sure that I will buy one just to test it.

Any advice  ?  It there some some dianostic software I can run to tell me more than the general 79.04  code ? 

Kind regards 

Pete

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 13
7,130 7,121 558 1,006
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

See if any of this will help. Once you get a 70:04 error due to a hardware fault, the error has to be cleared or it will just come up again. It is possible nothing has been damaged, but until the error is cleared from wherever it is stored it will always appear.

Possible symptoms

There are two different types of symptoms for data related 79:04 system errors:

1 When the corrupt data is accessed during start up:
a.The printer will display a 79:04 during the start up process
b. Switching the printer off and on again will not solve the issue. The printer will continue displaying the 79:04 system error until the corrupt data has been cleared through a service procedure

2 When the corrupt data is accessed during normal printer operation
a The printer will start up normally
b.When the data is accessed (for example while printing, while navigating the queue or when changing some settings), the printer displays a 79:04 system error
c.The printer can reboot normally
d.When the data is accessed again (typically, under the same conditions as in step “b”), the 79:04 system error is displayed again

Solutions and workarounds:

Many times, data related 79:04 errors are resolved by means of hardware intervention. Since data is stored in physical components (RAM, EEROM and Hard Disk), replacing these components with new ones which are empty usually solves the problem. However, there are quicker and more effective solutions to these types of errors:

1. Clear all information that has been introduced by the user using the standard tools available in the printer:
a. Delete all jobs from the queue (from the Front Panel or the EWS)
b. Reset to factory defaults to clear the user’s configurations and calibrations
c. Delete any non standard paper preset in the printer (both the ones that have been created by the user and the ones that have been installed as OMES profiles through the EWS or the HP Printer Utility)

2. If step 1 did not resolve the issue, you can use Service Tools to clear additional information that could be causing the issue:
a. Start the printer in Diagnostics Boot Mode
b. Perform an EEROM reset

3. If step 2 did not resolve the issue, it is possible to completely clear the information on the Hard Disk and the different EEROMs, leaving them in an equivalent state to a new part:
a. Access the Service Utilities Menu
b. In the Secure Disk Wipe menu, set the Sanitize level to “Unsecure mode”
c. Execute the Disk Wipe. This takes 45-75 minutes and it will completely clear all partitions in the Hard Disk which contain user data, including the partition where the Operating System is installed. After the disk wipe has completed, a backup firmware version will automatically be installed from a backup partition to allow the unit to start up.
This firmware version is very old.
d. The firmware in the printer should be upgraded to the latest official version as soon as the printer has restarted.After step “c”, any 79:04 which is caused by corrupt data in the printer will be solved.Important note:It is possible that the corrupt data came to be in the printer as a consequence of some activity in the customer’s workflow. In this case, it is possible that the issue will happen again. In these cases, it is very important to understand the sequence of events in the customer’s workflow that led to the error occurring. Once the error can be traced in the customer’s workflow, escalate the issue to the GBU (through the GCC). This is done to implement any changes in the printer’s firmware that can prevent these issues occurring again.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
83 51 1 7
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

David. 

I bow to the man who has such great knowledge of Designjets 

I appreciate your help  and will work through your suggestions and let you know how I get on

Kind regards 

Pete

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
83 51 1 7
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I fell at the 1st fence - I cant get the printer into any kind of service mode.

It will boot to give 79.xx error but I dont know how to turn it off except through the main switch.

Sevice mode needs it to be turned off using the button on the front panal, which is not functioning while the error is displayed. 

I have tried switching on from the back and pressing the buttons to get into service mode but wihout success. 

Anu ideas / I there a jumper on the formatter I can set ? 

Kind regads 

Pete

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello :

Solutions and workaround :

In the following procedure perform each step as it appears in the list and only move on to the next step once you are sure the 79:04 error has not been cleared:

If non-HP ink is being used, it is recommended to replace it with HP ink and printheads:

1. Check the printer's supply status:

Extract the Service Plot (when possible) or view the information on front panel. If any cartridges or printheads are out of warranty or the printheads show more than 100% of use, replace these before going to the next step.

2. Check the printer firmware version and if necessary, update it.

If System Error 79:03 and 79:04 persist, please contact the HP support. For contact information, go to Contact HP .

(Abdulhai painda)

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation