Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm super happy with my 4500PS. Except, it's not booting up.

We recently moved offices and I'm hoping a loose connection is causing the problem

Current Status:

1. Turn on power in back.

2. One Loud Beep.

3. Both 24V and VPOWER2 are not illuminating on either the PrintMech board or the board on Interconnect board.

4. (24V is very dimmly lit on both boards).

5. Counts to 30, faults to 01.0:10 as 24V power is not getting to either board.

Oddly, once it booted all the way through just fine and started moving the ink carriage, then back to no 24V and 01.0:10.

Inside the board area was super dusy, so we've blown the dust out, unplugged the cables and replugged them in.

Still, 01.0:10 error. I specifically checked the power connections (10 times) between the power supply and the boards and still no go.

Possibly a loose cable error? 24V power was supplied on one of the boot attempts... not consisently, or currently.

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi,

The error is related to the Gamut Board

Make sure it is installed correctly on the Main PCA

Also try to do the electronics module test to confirm a failure with the part.

The beep, is just the printer initializing, unless you hear like an alarm first

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
HP Recommended

Hi Mike,

I was able to get the error code that said it was the PCA Gamut board. I've checked the baord connections (3 times, pulled the board, checked the cables and reinstalled.)

Same error, saying it's the PCA Gamut board. I don't believe it's the board itself as the plotter booted on one occasion just fine, indicating that the board works - intermittantly.

I'm not sure if I should replace the ribbon cables, as power appears to be getting to the board. Mostly, if I'd like to fix the short or intermittant connection vs buying unneccary spare parts.

Does anyone have experience with loose connections on this board or intermittant operation?

HP Recommended

Hi, I've replaced the power supply and gamut board.

I'm still getting the 01.0:10 error. The board I purchased was used and I fear it had the same problem.

The original board has intermittantly worked, where I'm concerned that there may be a connection problem.

Where can I purchase a replacement board? (Ideally, like to get on less expensive as this plotter is getting older).

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you can borrow a gamut from a known working printer will be nice.

Cables is something I will not discard.

Also, is the cable from the PSU connected to the gamut?

Best regards

Mike G

HP Recommended

Hi  laartistguy,

I also am the very happy owner of a 4500 with stacker attachment, but am having similar problems to you. After powering on, the HP Invent display counts down to 1 normally then stops. Error messages are displayed AFTER the countdown has ended, but in my case the countdown is incomplete. The 24V and VPOWER2 (42V) LED's on the PrintMech PCA and Interconnect board are both not lit.

Perhaps being a little more adventurous, I actually traced the LED connections for these power rails back to the main power supply connector ensuring that the surface mounted fused were not blown.  I also dismantled the power supply hoping to find something there that may give clue to the reason for the missing power rails, but my days of messing with the insides of switchmode power supplies ended long ago unless the fault has little flags raised above it! Ticking the boxes using information provided in the service manual, I have replaced the power supply, and the PrintMech board with no change in the symptoms.

I have confirmed that the PCA memory is OK, and that the HDD is being recognised. The fact that there is an active display made me feel confident that the problem wasn't at this end.

Surmising that the GAMUT board is responsible for actually turning on these power rails, I am awaiting a replacement due next week some time. On that note, I was surprised to discover that there are different versions of the same board which look compatible as far as connections go, but I have been unable to to confirm if they can be substituted. My GAMUT board is part number Q1273-20170, which appears to be the earlier version, and getting scare to find at a reasonable price.

I will let you know how I went.

HP Recommended

The replacement Gamut Board arrived (finally!) and to my horror, despite careful checking of part number etc. etc, the bit I didn't check more carefully was the micro connector punched through the mounting plate at the end of the board. Seems Rev B has one version, Rev C has a different and my original board was Rev C.

That aside, everything else appeared to be identical, so plugging it in and powering up minus this connector I expected would simply generate different faults on the display. However, nothing changed... countdown to 1 on the HP Invent display then nothing, as it the display remained unchanged.

Main PSA appeared to be active in that configuration pages can be seen via LAN.

A little more careful noting of symptoms... at switch on from PSU switch, display lights up, HP Invent appears and then counts down to 1 before freezing at this point. Pressing any or all of the front panel buttons has no apparent effect. Web based configuration pages (only) visible via LAN. Power off only possible using PSU main switch at rear of machine.  Looking at the three LED display on the PSU above the main power switch, amber flashes momentarily at switch on, blue is lit and constant, green remains off (indicates 24V and 42V to enable printing). On the PrintMech Board, the 24V and VPower2 LED's remain OFF, but all other LED's come on at switch on. On the InterConnect Board, the 24V LED remains off.

Not knowing at what point in time the 24V and 42V power is active, the next step has to be... trace the green A/D PSU LED back to its source to try to determine if it should come on at power up, or is turned on later using a control signal from somewhere (which I had hoped was the case via the Gamut Board previously!). Given that the PSU has been replaced, it is a little hard to imagine that I have two PSU's having the same fault!

At the same time, I keep thinking that while this fault can't be unique to my printer, it seems odd that there isn't more information publicly published on the net, and the reason for my fault could well have nothing to do with where I'm looking!

Will keep informed...

HP Recommended

Hi Honor Student. I didn't see your first message...

After reading your post, I suggest updating the firmware and removing the ram and reinstalling.

What did you do about the trailing cable connector from the Gamut Board? Like yours, my replacement board came with a different 26-pin connector. Same model board Q1273-20170. The original Gamut Board had a 26-pin serial and the replacement is a DTE style.

Is there a connector avialble? The odd part is the 26-pin connector, as I can't go buy an off the shelf connector. I checked AMP now (TE) connectors and the item pictures are so poor, you can't verify online the connector will work. The prices are highway robbery as well.

The replacement Gamut board seems to work as I get past the 01.0.10 error and then to the trailing cable error as I can not connect the trailing cable. Why HP swapped the board connector/trialing calbe connector, I don't know, but it's a big pain for maintenance/replacement parts.

Suggestion?

PS. Replacing the trailing cable appears that it will be equally difficult to source the proper connections for each side. HP, can you provide a link for the Gamut board connector(s) to the triailing cable?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You should have received the adaptor.

Did you get the part new from HP?

Best regards

Mike G

HP Recommended

Hi Mike,

No, we did not receive the adapter.

We need it ASAP. Can you provide a link to purchase online?

The other guy in this post has a similar problem.

Much appreicated, Jeff

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.