cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
todor1951
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 23
Flag Post

HP DesignJet 450C - Light error

HP Recommended
C4715A
Microsoft Windows XP
Hello, I'm writing regarding the problem, which have cropped up as I tried to bring my HP DesignJet 450C back to life. It turned out to be quite difficult because of its age. So I really need professional help. I was reading the check-test instructions in "Service Manual" and I found it difficult to make some of them . There are the following errors: - Error Code: Rady + Castridgets but led K not steady. I tried the Carriage test in Service Mode 1. The test failed - LED J (Glossy Yellow Carriage is OFF), although I check many yellow carriages. Unfortunately, I am not able to see information via the serial post. My second question is - I work with Windows XP, but in service manual is described only Win. 3.1 ? I would be grateful if you're able to hepl me.
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,121 558 1,025
Message 2 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Very difficult to understand what you are telling us.  If the ready light is on solid and the cartridges light is blinking it means one or more of the printheads is faulty.  To test open the top cover and remove all the cartridges.  Now insert lets say the black cartridge first.  When you insert it the cartridge light should blink 2 or 3 times and then go out.  If it does not blink it means the plotter does not see the cartridge.  The plotter will work with just the black cartridge working.  It will not work if the black cartridge is bad.  To test the color cartridges do the same as with the black.  If all but one of the color cartridges work, then take one of the working color cartridges and put in the slot of the non working to see if the light blinks.  If the light blinks then the cartridge not working is bad.  If the light does now work with the good cartridge, then you have a bad carriage assembly.  You can not use the black cartridge in any of the color slots, nor can you use a color cartridge in the black slot as they are different types.

todor1951
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Big thanks, 

I am not able to do the test with the colour carriages because I can't change their places. They have specific positions, which make it impossible to replace one with another.

Once again thank you and hope to give me a further piece of advice.

0 Kudos
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,121 558 1,025
Message 4 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In the front of each printhead are little tabs that prevent one color from going into the other slot.  Just break off the tab and it will fit in the other slot.  That is only for the color printheads which are number 44.  The black is number 40 and will only work in the black slot.  As I said you just insert each printhead and the cartridge light should blink 2 or 3 times if the cartridge is ok.  If it does not blink it means the cartridge or the slot is bad and swapping the color cartridges around will work for those 3 slots.  With the black you need to try a known good black printhead.  If it fails then the carriage assembly is bad and needs to be replaced.  The 450C will print with just the black printhead but you will have the cartridge light on all the time, but the unit will work and print.

0 Kudos
todor1951
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks again!

Well, I've tried 3 cartridges assembly so far but they didn't work. I really don't know whether they're old or not good enough.  And here is the problem that they're brand new and full of  ink, although they don't work.  

Can you come up with a solution for this?

Because of this I'm not able to do the test properly.

0 Kudos
todor1951
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 6 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

screenshot1.jpg

Here you can see a problem (printing error) which crops up, without a reason?!? I mean the plotter is in Ready-mode. Don't know what to do ...

0 Kudos
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,121 558 1,025
Message 7 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

All you are doing is confusing the issue with what you posted.  You need to get the black to work plain and simple.  When you insert a black printhead does the ready light blink 2 or 3 times yes or no?  If it blinks then press both the top left and top right buttons on the menu at the same time and release.  The plotter should then print a test plot.  Does it or do you have any error lights pattern on the display.  I may have confused you with the lights when you insert the cartridge as it is the ready green light that has to blink 2 or 3 times.  Get back to us.  Forget about the color cartridges for now as we want to see if the plotter will work with just the black.  Also if you do not get the ready light to blink with the black slot, then the plotter will not work and if the issue is not the cartridges, then the issue is the carriage assembly and it will need to be replaced.  No magical solution if that is the problem.  Keep in mind if the ready light does not blink when inserting the black cartridge then pressing the button I told you will have no effect as that test plot only works when the plotter has a good black cartridge that it sees a good.

0 Kudos
todor1951
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 8 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Again big thanks for the answer.

I think that I've understood the issue, here is what I did: 

1) The black cartridge now works very good. I did this test which you told me and I have no problems with it now. I also did another tests from the service manual. Setup + Cancel with a roll paper, it was very good and plain; Setup + Form Feed and only Setup with a sheet, also without problems. I guess I'm ready with black

2) I tried the colour ones. I  put and pull out them until the ready light blinks 2-3 times and goes out. I have no problem with the blue and red one. The light blinks immediately but I have a issue with the yellow. I change the places and it came clear that the yellow cartridge is ok but the problem is in the slot. I put in yellow slot the blue and red one and the light didn't blink. Although the yellow one works in the blue/red slot. Because of this I wasn't able to run the colour tests (reprint+cancel), it didn't start. Have you an idea what to do ?

I have some further questions: 

- I bought an extra memory from ebay. I found its place but the plotter doesn't recognise it. Here it is: 

11992599_898431233582837_979861651_n.jpg

- I also tried to print a Word File but unsuccessfully, because the PC doesn't see the plotter although i have installed the drivers.

I appreciate your help and would be glad if you have further solutions :)) 

0 Kudos
davidzuts
Level 13
7,130 7,121 558 1,025
Message 9 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There are 2 slots that will fit memory, but only one of them works with memory.  It is the slot closest to the back of the printer right in front of the opening.  The slot closest to the front is only used for a firmware update chip that turns a 430 into a 450C without having to model ID the plotter.  You really do not need any extra memory.  You just need to make a change in the driver and no matter how big the plot you will not run out of memory.  Go to printers and faxes and right click on the plotter icon and scroll down to properties and left click.  Now left click on printing preferences and then left click on advanced at the top. Now change the default of process in the printer to process in the computer.  Do not worry about the message that comes up since this driver was developed when computers had very little memory.  Times have changed.  When you use process in the computer the computer provides all the memory and you will now notice the jobs will start faster since there is no processing at the printer.  Have fun.

0 Kudos
todor1951
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 10 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's useful, Thanks!

And what about the yellow carriage, how should I make it work? 

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation