Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 9 (3,870 Views)

HP Designjet 111 Cartridges Read empty when they are full!!!!

Greetings 

I have a HP Designjet 111 roll printer that I use daily for my architects practice….

I have only ever used HP Inks but recently the Magenta ink ran out very quickly so I replaced it with a new HP Ink which worked for that day however the next morning the ink was registering as empty.

I removed the cartridge and it was clearly full!!!

I read a few posts of customers that have had the same problem on the HP site and followed the merger advice given eg…

Power off then replace all tanks one by one

Clean contacts to the chips

Tape over the bottom of the cartridge

Even reset the printer to factory settings

All with no joy…

So I brought a new cartridge and guess what same thing happened.

I’m guessing it’s got something to do with the chips in the cartridge which upsets me as I spend a fortune on HP inks to avoid these problems…

The only thing that I can think that could cause it is that once the printer has powerd down I switch the printer off at the wall every night and the chips internal memory loses power over time then its data… this is my none technical reasoning

My company needs to print it’s what our out put is ergo if our printer isn’t reliable we lose business and in turn you will lose our business to a competitor who makes a reliable product.

Regards

Andrew James

jacobjamesuk@gmail.com

0 Kudos
PhD Student
Message 2 of 9 (3,836 Views)

Re: HP Designjet 111 Cartridges Read empty when they are full!!!!

Replacing the ink cartridge which is shown having error/empty with a HP genuine ink cartridge should generally resolve this issue.  It would need few more efforts, but getting all your ink cartrdiges validated for genuineness might be required.

Removing all ink cartrdiges and installing them after power on (when printer prompts for cartridges) might succeed in some cases, but if the error is caused due to any other hardware failure (Ink supply station or related components) then it would need to be troubleshooted with the help of an HP tech.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the 'Kudos Thumbs Up' if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
Top Student
Message 3 of 9 (3,669 Views)

Thank you for the useless reply's

I replaced the Cartridges at grate expense as the suppler assured me that they were within date and were genuine.

The new magenta cartridge worked perfectly for a day completing lots of prints but by no means was it empty. Then the next day the cartridge reads as empty again.

I have checked the mechanical plungers of the ink station these appear to be in perfect working order e.g. moves up and down on all cartridges. I also reset to factory settings to no avail.

WHAT CAN I DO MORE????

I no longer trust your brand, the war you are waging with the counterfeiters has left a customer who only ever buys the OE cartridges with a product that doesn’t work because of a small chip that doesn’t even read the ink level. If this is how you develop and sell products I hope the counterfeiters or non racketeering multi national company’s who don’t care about those who buy there products, do run you out of business.

Professor
Message 4 of 9 (3,657 Views)

Hello Andrew,

From what I have read on your post, there is nothing else to do than service the printer, as mention before.

The ISS (Ink Supply Station) not only pumps the ink to the tubes but also read the chips on the ink cartridge. This is one odf the parts related to the problem. the Other part is the Main PCA

I suggeest you to:

- Contact HP and ask for the price to have the unit repair

- Contact an HP authorized service provided and ask for the price to have the unit repair

- Get a printer that will meet your needs. This is not a printer ment for lots of prints daily. this is for a smal office that run some plots. Maybe a more robust printer like a DesignJet T795, DesignJet T920 will be better for you company.

Best regards

Mike G

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
Top Student
Message 5 of 9 (3,643 Views)

Thank you for the reply...

Dose the ink supply station hold the values of the cartridge in its own eeprom then the PCA reads this or are the values held on the PCA. if the ink supply centre holds the info then I will replace this if its just a contacting point and com wires to the PCA I will look into replacing the PCA.

Regards

Top Student
Message 6 of 9 (3,639 Views)

Hi

Can I just confirm that by main PCA you are reffering to the Cleanout Interconnect PCA or do you mean the Electronics Module Assembly?

Regards

J

Professor
Message 7 of 9 (3,623 Views)

Hi,

I'm refering to the Electronics Module Assembly

Best regards

Mike G

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
Tutor
Message 8 of 9 (3,606 Views)

Hello fellow DJ111 owner!
I understand your pain. i have the tray version of this designjet and there is nothing as frustrating as troubleshooting!
Try checking your warranty status first before you tire yourself out. If you are out of luck -like i was - then run a google search on 'designjet 100 service manual' it shows you how to start the printer in 'service mode' and it runs self tests and tells you where the problem is (its not very accurate but it is a good start)

Mine told me i had to replace the Ink supply station, which i did. Then it said something else - so i took it to service and THEY told me somethiing else as well (carriage assembly) which makes sense as the problem started because i tilted the printer...

OH...which reminds me... DO NOT TILT your DESIGNJET!

Top Student
Message 9 of 9 (3,582 Views)

This was better advice than what I receved from the hp team " Sorry guys you suck"

I'm out of warrenty so I have  have found the mentiond manual so I will see how it gose.

I dont want to replace the printer due to chips in the cartridges with another HP.

So If I have no luck I will never by a HP product again!!!! I will invest in a Cannon we have one for A3 and its never let me down yet 4 years+

This printer has cost me three projects worth of printing that I had to send to call print probably about a grand in print costs now...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation