Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Designjet T2500
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Greetings board

Our office just got our HP Designjet T2500 2 days ago.  We have been unable to print 24 x 36 sheets in landscape on a 36" roll.   It always prints out in portrait mode wich wastes paper and causes us to have to trim every sheet.  We downloaded and are using the HPGL2 driver.  We get the same results when printing from AutoCAD or PDF.  Please help.  We need a fix for this ASAP.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended
Try creating a custom page size 36x24.

This should trick the plotter into printing the way you want (faster) than the way hp wants you to (slower)
HP Recommended

Hi,

Are you using the HP driver or Apple Airprint?

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
HP Recommended

We are also experiencing this issue. I am trying to plot Arch D size plots in landscape mode in AutoCAD 2014. I have tried rotating, Borderless, Fit to Arch D, and Actual Size. I cannot create a custom paper size. i get a message that states "The width of a paper size should be equal or smaller than its length." Even though the preview in the preferences dialog box looks correct, it still comes out portrait in the plotter, wasting paper. How do we enforce landscape? We are using the HP driver on a Windows 7 64-bit computer. Driver version is 61.133.1621.100.

HP Recommended

The ONLY way I have been able to get reliable output from my T2530PS is to define a quick-set for each page size.

18x24:

Paper/Quality tab: Document size=Arch C, Paper source=Roll 1 (24"), Print Quality=Standard/middle; Layout/Output tab: Resizing options=Actual size, Orientation=Landscape, Rotation=Autorotate

24x36:

Paper/Quality tab: Document size=Arch D, Paper source=Roll 2 (36"), Print Quality=Standard/middle; Layout/Output tab: Resizing options=Actual size, Orientation=Landscape, Rotation=Autorotate

36x48:

Paper/Quality tab: Document size=Arch E, Paper source=Roll 2 (36"), Print Quality=Standard/middle ; Layout/Output tab: Resizing options=Actual size, Orientation=Portrait, Rotation=Autorotate

All options can be overridden when job is submitted (useful for selecting draft or high quality output for a particular job). Standard/middle (300ppi/Automatic) is much faster than at 600dpi for limited improvement on most line drawings.

1.  In order to get a true cyan to plot on line drawings (rather than a washed-out one), set the Color tab/Default RGB source profile=none (aerial photos look best at Default RBG source profile=sRBG).

2. Since most of our printing is done from Acrobat, I unloaded the HPGL2 and PCL driver sets.

3.  For the Job Center, I found the HP Designjet Utility software pretty but not superior to a desktop shortcut pointing to the IP address. Another benefit is the web interface method can "Wake Up" the offline device without having to get up and press the Power button.  I've set this plotter to got to sleep quickly as it generates noise while waiting for jobs and its wake-up time is minimal.

All in all... my HP800 driver more reliabley selected options automatically.

HP Recommended

Make sure your settings in the driver, EWS and Front Panel are the same.  If they are different, you can get some varied outputs sometimes depending on what overides the other in terms of things like the auto-rotate feature, paper mismatch, roll switching and such.

Whenver i install a new plotter at a customer, i stress this and repeat myself numerous times.  One post did state creating custom settings for each file size you plan on plotting.  That works great too.

Tom

HP Recommended

Does anyone have a fix for this? I have the same problem on Designjet T520. Yes, I've tried setting a custom page size, but as others have reported, the obstacle is that it says  "The width of a paper size should be equal or smaller than its length."  if you try to set a height (ie: length of roll) less than width.  This is an unreasonable restriction for a roll-based printer. Either that, or the rotate function should be smart enough to print across the page if it's possible.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'll recommend you to open a new post, as you have a T520 and this one is for a T2500, they are diferrent printers

About your problem, there are diferrent causes, starting by the size of the paper detected by the printer, check the size on the EWS.

If the paper is big enough, check the page size set on the application, then the driver

Also, make sure you are using the HP Driver. dont use airprint if u are using mic, or class driver if u are using windows

If you open a new post, please include the operating system of ur computer, image size, applications used, different file formats (if u tryed this) driver used

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
HP Recommended

I used to have a similar problem with my single-roll HP800.  I had to first specify the roll size as 36" before definining a custom or standard page size larger than ArchC - and define the papersize with the 36" as the width no matter the length. Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Replying mostly to @MikeG81, but also to others who might land here with similar problems.

(I didn't start a new thread, because this problem is not peculiar to OP's printer, not to the T520, as a number of other posters have noted.)

Now, as it happens, I *think* the problem is now solved for me. First off a description of the problem in more detail:

You want to print a say 36-inch wide by 12-inch tall drawing to the T520-36-inch, so of course you want to print it across the paper, using only 12 inches of roll length.   (And we're using Windows 7-64, if it matters, and HP's "Full Featured" driver etc installation , and printer is connected by USB.)

Because application software generally doesn't seem to know what do with a roll, before printing you have to use the print dialog's Properties settings and use the HP Printer driver dialog to create a custom paper size.  (And then select it, and make sure it stays selected, which can be a challenge and may require exiting the Print dialog and returning to it.)

Ideally you'd want 36 wide x 12 tall. However, the driver settings prohibit defining height < width. So the closest you can get is 12 tall x 36 wide.  And then elsewhere in the HP printer properties dialog, check "Landscape".  The graphic showing your page size on the printer paper changes to show that  12 x 36 landscape means long side parallel to the roll, thus using only 12 inches of roll.

OK, now returning to the generic Print dialog (which varies by application) you need to again  make a choice of Portrait or Landscape (or possible "Automatic"), and the print dialog may have a graphic of what it thinks the result will be.

In Adobe Acrobat (I'm using version "X"), the graphic will show the wide drawing either nicely filling the page, or very shrunken so as to fit in the obviously wrong orientation on the page.  So it's easy to pick the correct Portrait/Landscape choice. (In the current example, Landscape).

However... on actually printing, the &^%$# printout is rotated 90 degrees from expectations, and prints with its long side down the roll, using up 3 feet of roll instead of 1 foot.

I am tentatively pleased to report that this problem seems to have gone away by replacing the version of HP driver (from late 2014) with the current one available for download (61.144.2523.100(2 Dec 2015)).

It now behaves as expected, printing 36W x 12H drawings across the paper.  I don't know for a fact that a change has been made to the software, or some other configuration element was coincidentally changed, but my fingers are crossed.

I note in passing that the download of new drivers is itself fraught. HP still hasn't fixed the surrounding confusion that I reported long ago here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/DesignJet-Large-Format-Printers-and-Digital-Press/Designjet-drivers-sof....

In short, how are you supposed to know which components to install, which are subsumed by which others, and so on? Are multiple things needed, or just one? For what it's worth, I chose to install the Full Featured Solution installation.  But perhaps I should have installed, instead or as well, the six-months-newer package:  "HP Designjet T120 24-in,T520 24-in and T520 36-in ePrinter PCL3 driver     61.162.21112.100 14 Jun 2016".  Who knows.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.