Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 9 (2,172 Views)

HP Deskjet 5940 stopped recognizing orig blank cart which is full

[ Edited ]

Hi

Both cartridges I use ( color and black) are original HP products.

The black cart is more than half full but the cartridge led blinks and the status shows error, I did try with my previous cart (the one that was originally in the printer package, is empty of course)  and I get the same behaviour, it shows an error and no status.

The strange part is that if I press the power button with the X button I get a report sheet, as soon as I press the buttons the led stops blinking, the status of the cart shows fine in the PC interface , the page prints and then the led starts blinking again and the pc interface shows an error with the black as before.

If the printer is able to print the report page then why doesn't it work afterwards?

I thought of buying a new cart but I don't want to waste my money just to find out that the printer has a hardware failure.

Any ideas?

I attach the printed report that shows that both cartridges are original and full

img.jpeg 

Alex

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 9 (2,141 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet 5940 stopped recognizing orig blank cart which is full

[ Edited ]

The troubleshooting steps in this document may help resolve the issue

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"----------V

Top Student
Message 3 of 9 (2,114 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi

Thank you for your reply but non of these steps helped, I have cleaned all the contacts but this didn't help.

The fact that the cartridge starts to work fine in order to print the report and the "disappears" again tells me that this is not a contact problem or a cartridge problem.

Alex

Regents Professor
Message 4 of 9 (2,071 Views)

Hi Alex, so the old empty black cartridge & your newer cartridge both show the same error?

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
Top Student
Message 5 of 9 (2,064 Views)

Yes, I get the same error for both cartridges, none of them seems to be recognized but the fact that the cartridge is suddenly recognized and operates normally in order to print the report and then disappears again makes me think that HP checks dates of the cartridge and disables/expires them somehow based on date even while they are full.

Alex

Provost
Message 6 of 9 (2,058 Views)

[ Edited ]

The cartridges used in the 5940 do not have any date information the printer can read electrically, the only date information is the end of warranty date printed on the cartridge.  The printer does perform some electrical checks and will refuse to print in some conditions.  In some cases the printer will allow printing a test page (to aid diagnostics) but will not print normal jobs for certain cartridge errors.  The link I gave before has the following information.  I would suggest cleaning the cartridge contacts as well as those on the printer  Be sure to do step 11 which says: Use the swab to clean the electrical contacts in the carriage, located inside the product. Allow the contacts to dry for approximately 10 minutes, or use a new swab to dry the contacts.

Issue: One or both of the Print Cartridge status lights blink

In this error condition, the following light pattern displays on the control panel:

•  Power light : On
  • Print Cartridge status lights : Blinking
  • PictBridge lights : Off
  • Resume light : Off

NOTE: A 'Print cartridge problem ' or an 'Incorrect Print Cartridge(s) ' message might display on the computer in combination with a blinking Print Cartridge status light.
Figure 50: One or both of the Print Cartridge status lights blink
Illustration: One or both of the Print Cartridge status lights blink
  • If the right Print Cartridge status light blinks, then the right (black) cartridge is the problem cartridge.
  • If the left Print Cartridge status light blinks, then the left (tri-color) cartridge is the problem cartridge.
  • If both Print Cartridge status lights blink, then both cartridges need attention.
Cause
One or more of the cartridges might be incompatible with the product, or the cartridges need to be reseated, cleaned, or replaced.
 Solutions

Solution two: Clean the cartridge contacts

Follow these steps to clean the cartridge contacts.
  1. Gather the following materials:
  2. Clean distilled water. Use bottled or filtered water if distilled water is not available. Tap water can contain contaminants that damage the cartridge.
  3. Clean cotton swabs or any soft, lint-free material that will not stick to the cartridges (coffee filters work well).
  4. Sheets of paper or a paper towel to rest the cartridges on during cleaning.
  5. Open the cover on the product. The carriage moves to the right side of the product. Wait until the product is idle and silent before continuing.
    Figure 57: Open the cover
    Graphic: Open the cover
  6. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
     WARNING:You must disconnect the power cord before cleaning the electrical contacts inside the product to avoid electrical shock.
  7. Press down on the cartridge to release it, and then slide it out of its slot.
    Figure 58: Press down on the cartridge and then slide it out of the slot
    Graphic: Press down on the cartridge to release it
     CAUTION:Do not remove both cartridges at the same time. Remove and clean each cartridge one at a time. Do not leave a cartridge outside the product for more than 30 minutes.
  8. Dip a swab in the clean water, and  then squeeze it to remove most of the moisture. The swab should be only slightly damp.
  9. Use the damp swab to clean the contacts on the cartridge, and then allow the cartridge to dry for approximately 10 minutes.
      CAUTION:Do not clean the nozzles on the cartridge.
    Figure 59: Clean the contacts
    Graphic: Clean the cartridge contacts
    1 - Copper-colored contacts
    2 - Ink nozzles (do not clean)

10. Lightly moisten another swab with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from the swab.
  11. Use the swab to clean the electrical contacts in the carriage, located inside the product. Allow the contacts to dry for approximately 10 minutes, or use a new swab to dry the contacts.
  12. Slide the cartridge back into its slot, and then press firmly on the cartridge until is snaps into place.
    Figure 60: Insert the cartridge
    Graphic: Insert the cartridges
  13. Repeat these steps on the other cartridge, if necessary.
  14. Close the cover on the product.
    Figure 61: Close the cover
    Graphic: Close the cover on the product
  15. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  16. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product, if it is not already turned on.
  • If these steps resolved the issue , you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
  • If the issue persists , continue to the next solution.
Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"----------V

Top Student
Message 7 of 9 (2,040 Views)

I have tried to clean the contacts as soon as I faced the problem but it didn't help, the contacts were shiny to begin with so there wasn't anything to clean but I did it anyway and unfortunetelly it didn't help.

I appriciate all the help but I think that I'll leave this printer aside for now and buy a new one.

Best reards

Alex

Provost
Message 8 of 9 (2,032 Views)

alexan_e wrote:

I have tried to clean the contacts as soon as I faced the problem but it didn't help, the contacts were shiny to begin with so there wasn't anything to clean but I did it anyway and unfortunetelly it didn't help.
I appriciate all the help but I think that I'll leave this printer aside for now and buy a new one.

Best reards

Alex

Did you clean the contacts in the printer in addition to those on the cartridge?  A bit of paper dust or pet hair on the contacts in the printer can cause the issue you are describing.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Top Student
Message 9 of 9 (2,025 Views)

I did clean both of them but it doesn't hurt to retry, I will update if I get any results

Alex

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation