Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 2 (388 Views)

HP Deskjet 648C will not detect/print on Windows 7

This thing's ancient and I'm well aware of it, but not buying a new printer would be nice. 

HP Deskjet 648C
model C6466A

Windows 7 64 bit

I'm not prone to having to ask about computers much. I build/repair at an amateur level and I'm a graphic designer, so I know computers. My main printer broke and I found my grandfather's deskjet so I'd like to use it for the interim. 

Windows will do the "beep" when the printer is plugged in and/or unplugged, but nothing comes up about software or drivers (no bubble in the bottom right corner). Windows compatibility claims it's compatible with 7, and HP's page claims all I have to do is plug it in and then it will work. 

I tried manually installing the printer "Deskjet 640 series" is the most accurate I can get, and that doesn't work. It does not show up at all (on its own) in the available printers. 

If it's a simple "it actually isn't compatible," that's fine, but for the time being I'm trying to get it working... 

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 2 (362 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet 648C will not detect/print on Windows 7

[ Edited ]

Hello rgeralt,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I am sorry to hear about recent printer issues you have had, recently the Deskjet 648c not installing on the Windows 7 computer.

While the printer is powered on and the USB not connected, open the Device Manager. Connect the USB and see if the computer displays the printer. If not, change the USB cable and check again.

Try running the Print and Scan Dr on the computer while the printer is powered on and connected via USB. If the Print and Scan Dr does not find the printer, there is a good chance the hardware of the printer is not working.

Let me know the results, if you have a chance to try the suggestions.

Cheers,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation