Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
coconan Tutor
Tutor
6 1 1
Message 1 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Deskjet 6988 wireless printing problem

I am unable to print "large" files to the HP DJ 6988.  The operating system is Vista Home. When connected to the printer via USB cable, no problems.  When connected to the printer wirelessly I am able to print small files only.  (a single page of text created in Notepad prints fine.)  When I send a "large" file, like a digital picture for example, the "receiving" (green) light blinks merrily away, for about 3 to 4 minutes. Then about 1/8th of the picture prints, then more blinking but nothing further happens.  The printer queue shows an error.  My son-in-law printed a photo from his XP laptop, no problem?  Seems to me it may be a Vista "spooling" problem, but I wait to hear from anyone who has solved the issue? 
24 REPLIES
Professor
Professor
1537 81 399
Message 2 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Interesting problem.  I assume you have a wireless-router.  What's interesting is that the connection from the DJ 6988 to the wireless-router is common for both your Vista machine and your son-in-law's XP laptop.

Out of curiosity, are you able to download large files to your Vista machine wirelessly?

Regards / Jim B

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
0 Kudos
coconan Tutor
Tutor
6 1 1
Message 3 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Not that it makes much difference, but it is not a wireless router, rather a Netgear FV318 router with an attached Linksys Access Point. You are correct, of course, that the flow of information for both the VISTA and XP machine is exactly the same?  Hmmm..  The son-in-law did not send the same picture as I did, maybe his was much smaller, though full page.  I will double check that by sending the same pic from an XP and Vista machine tonight, 

Meanwhile, I downloaded the HP printer diagnostic utility and ran it.  I can't remember the error exactly, but it is unable to see the printer at all for testing, thus no results although I am still able to print to the printer?  The instructions say to reinstall the printer from the CD.  This will be the third time, but I'll try again.

Co

coconan Tutor
Tutor
6 1 1
Message 4 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Lastnight I printed the exact same picture with the same setting from an XP Laptop and a Vista laptop.  The XP print job happen quickly and nicely.  The Vista laptop did the usual, printing about 1/4 page, then ejecting the paper, the printing about 1/4 inch of the picture on another sheet and ejecting the paper and then trying to do the same thing again but I cancelled the print job.

Therefore, it is certainly a Vista problem.  I have no idea where to begin looking for a Vista answer to this?  I'll let you know if I find an answer.

(as you can probably guess, this is not my first Vista problem....the list of problems is a long one...)

Thanks,

Co

0 Kudos
debsilyn Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have a similar problem with Vista and a wireless print router.  We have several computers hooked to this router, and my Vista laptop (Dell XPS 1530)  seems to be the only one having problems when printing large files.  Small files often seem to do ok, but I have had some errors with this as well.  I changed an advance setting to "spool entire document before printing"  and place the printer on pause before selecting print.  This way the entire document is sent to print Then I unpause.  It seems to have helped, but still get errors abt 30% of the time.  My printer is 6100 All in one.  My router is Net Gear wireless print router. 
0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
1033 33 154
Message 6 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

try this out the properties of the printer

and look for the "advance" tab and look the

middle of the box and dot select the

"Spool print documents so the program finish printing faster"

and make sure the dot is on the "start printing immediately"

or u can try a few different trails on that tab

Please provide Kudos to whom has provided answers or
good points or advice..
Aslo if the questions or issues solved please check it
"Accepted"
Thanks and you are welcome _____ Rick
0 Kudos
debsilyn Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 7 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I tried these settings at first, and it does not help.  Last night we tried printing from Photoshop from my son's Vista desktop and had the same error.  Printed a  portion of the picture then stopped and started again.  This happened repeatedly.  The print utility showed "Printing"   Then Error Then Printing repeatedly so it appears to be "glitching" and trying to restart itsself. 
0 Kudos
coconan Tutor
Tutor
6 1 1
Message 8 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Sadly, I believe it is the Netgear Router. I removed my old faithful Netgear FV318 and replaced it with a Linksys BEFSR81....NOTE! This is a "VISTA READY" router.  This solved the problem.Something to do with "stacks"  but I can't be bothered, this solved all the problems. 
0 Kudos
Professor
Professor
1537 81 399
Message 9 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I'm glad to see you resolved your network problem.  I'm still curious about your configuration.  What model of access-point do you have attached to your router?

I ask since I'm wondering if you were "double-natted"?  In other words, did you have a true access-point or a wireless-router attached to your Netgear FV318?

By itself, a double-natted configuration isn't problematic unless both DHCP servers are trying to assign duplicate IP addresses.  You also have to understand that home network devices may not be able to communicate amongst each other if they connect to different routers in your home.

Without getting into too much detail, the simplest solution is to configure your downstream router to be a simple hub or access-point.

Regards / Jim B

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
0 Kudos
coconan Tutor
Tutor
6 1 1
Message 10 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I've been told I'm a natty guy...but double natted?  Who knows?

My old configuration was a Netgear FV318 8 port Router (basement) with a separate access point (Linkysys WAP11) on the second floor hardwired to the router.

My new configuration is a Linksys BEFSR81 8 port Router (basement) with a separate access point (Linksys WAP54G) on the first floor hardwired to the new BEFSR81.

How could I be double natted?  Isn't the only device that can hand out addresses the router?

Thanks   

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation