Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Excellent advice -- thank you!  I wound up chatting with a technician who removed all of the old drivers and installed new ones.   So far, it's been behaving.

HP Recommended

What is the phone number for HP Phone Support.  Can't get number from HP website, get a 404 error

HP Recommended

HP Support installed the driver for the HP Photosmart 5500 series.  This driver makes the color printing work again.  Unfortunately I spent an hour on the phone with them to get this accomplished.

This is an older driver that happens to work as a temporary fix.  No idea when they will fix the driver for the 5540.

HP Recommended

@skostuke

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

• Install the full feature driver from the HP website to install the latest driver.
  • Click here to find the latest driver.

Let me know if that works.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed the guidance (sandytechy20) to download and install the 5540 printer driver, but it did not change the fact that the printer wants to print in grayscale.   I know that the software that is printing the document (i.e. ms word, powerpoint, adobe acrobat) does not have grayscale selected.   When I printed the page to show the 'printer claim code' it printed in black and blue. When I print a 'demo page' from the printer itself, it prints in colour.   This is a relatively recent occurance (with in a few weeks).  Some help would be appreciated. 

HP Recommended
Do not waste your time with the solution from sandytechy - the 5540 driver does not work. You need to call tech support and they will walk you through deleting all the 5540 drivers, and then installing older drivers from a different printer so the color printing will work again. It's a temporary fix until the get the 5540 driver working again. They updated the driver a week or so ago, and it messed up the color printing.
HP Recommended

You really should listen to people when they say something is not working or right and pointing out specifics.  Don't just copy and paste stuff that's already available on the HP troubleshooting page via a simple Google search.  I just bought this printer and every time I install the new software package (after April 2017) you're foisting on us it doesn't work.  Something is wrong with that bundle. It's possible it works for some things like my Amazon Fire or Samsung Galaxy, but even though it prints in color the size is completely off.  But I don't care about those.  I care about fixing the Windows 10 version. Anywhere from Photoshop to the HP AIO remote, the color option defaults to monochrome every time.  The only time it did work and remembered my color selection is when I installed an old driver, but that dismantled my scanner.  So, I had no choice but to reinstall the latest version of the software and now everything is monochrome again. And using that HP app is not my preferred choice.  I typically print from Photoshop and printing from the HP AIO app makes the size totally off.

Clipboard01c.jpg

HP Recommended

Anyone know when they're actually going to fix this problem?  It's a disgrace that they've had reports of this problem for several weeks but still haven't fixed it. 

HP Recommended

I had the same no printing in color issue with my 5540 all in one.  There was no 'Print in Grayscale' option.  In fact, there was nothing under 'Document Options'.  I finally uninstalled the driver.  I reinstalled from the CD that came with my printer, deselecting the "HP Udates" option.   It worked! The color option is back as well as the 'Print in Grayscale' option.  Just printed from MS Word and it came out in color!  Problem solved.  HP should pay me!!!! Ha.

HP Recommended

It didn't help sandytechy20.  I give your proposed solution a thumbs down!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.