Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 25 (29,844 Views)

HP Envy 4500 All in One - Printer Error - not finishing print job / non-specific error code

Help - my new HP ENVY 4500 AIO (less 3 months old) has never completed a print job if it is over 1 page. I'm connected wirelessly, and not sure if there is an interruption in the wireless connection or if this is defect in the  printer. I receive a message "Printer Error - HP ENVY cancelling print job" and that's it. It will usually happen when it's on the last page of a small print job or half way thru a large (10+ page) of a print job.  Any suggestions? I've downloaded HP Print/Scan Dr - it didn't find any issues.

Retired
Message 2 of 25 (29,813 Views)

Re: HP Envy 4500 All in One - Printer Error - not finishing print job / non-specific error code

[ Edited ]

Hi OSUgirl6

I understand the printer wont finish printing a multiple page document over the wireless network.

I would try setting up a static ip on the printer to see if this will resolve the issue.

Go to Solution three: Assign the printer a static IP address from the url.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03748911

If you are still having the same issue then try connecting the printer directly to the computer by usb and see if the problem is resolved.

If it prints by usb fine then most likely it is a  network or firewall issue.

If it doesn't print properly then it would be software related.

(uninstall and reinstall the printer software)

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
Message 3 of 25 (29,777 Views)

Re: HP Envy 4500 All in One - Printer Error - not finishing print job / non-specific error code

The wireless reset didn't work. I need to purchase a USB cable... I thought I had an extra cord but can't find it. It USB cable doesn't work I'll try reloading printer driver/software.

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know if additional suggestions end up working.
Student
Message 4 of 25 (29,685 Views)

Tried to print 6 pages and got a printer error which I can't seem to get rid of. Delete doesn't make it go away!

Retired
Message 5 of 25 (29,657 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi ljg69

Here is a url to help delete the jobs that are stuck in the queue by downloading and running the Print and Scan Doctor, it resolves diagnosed printing problems, checks the connectivity. also checks the print driver and port.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05368413 (Link Updated 05/01/2017) 

If you require further assistance please provide the following so I can assist you better.

Please provide the full name and product number of your printer.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03770424

What operating system are you using?
Here is a document to check your operating system for Windows.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/which-operating-system

Here is a document to check your operating system for Mac.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03204293

How is the printer connected?(USB/ethernet/wireless)

What are the results from running the Print and Scan Doctor?

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
Tutor
Message 6 of 25 (29,128 Views)

I had the same issue. Got in contact with HP customer service and the first person that helped had no idea how to fix it.  Got in contact with someone else and they found the issue right away. I had it connected through the wrong port.

First find out what the IP address of your printer is. You can do this by pressing the small wifi button on the front of your printer and it will show the IP address. 

Then what you'll have to do is go to the start menu of your computer and search for "Devices and Printers".

Click that and a screen will open. Look for your printer an right click.

Click "Printer Properties" and a new screen will open.

Along the top you will see a few tabs. Click the one that says "Ports"

Click "Add Port"

Highlight "Standard TCP/IP Port" by clicking on it, then click "New Port"

A new screen will open.

Click "Next"

Type in the IP Address of your printer and click "Next"

After that your computer should find your printer.

Click finish and you should be all set.

Hope this helps.

Top Student
Message 7 of 25 (28,997 Views)

Hi Gemini02,

I am having a similar issue to OSUgirl6. re multiple pages not printing. I tried to set up the static ip address also but once I got to step 5 I got lost. It seems the page is just a read only page that cannot be adjusted.  I was not sure where to click on Network address in wireless section is.

Student
Message 8 of 25 (28,248 Views)

I've been having this same issue, I originally thought it was only with double sided large print jobs, but then I tried them with single sided and still had the same problem. I've tried reinstalling the software, I've tried rebooting the printer and both my laptops, but to prove it wasn't my software, I had my roommate try printing from her laptop and that didn't work either. I don't have USB cables so I haven't tried that, but I don't see how it could be a network problem because the wireless router is right next to the printer. Any suggestions? I really need this to start working right considering I am a full time college student with multiple papers I need to write.

Honor Student
Message 9 of 25 (28,202 Views)

Thanks, sorted out the problem fine. Don't know why the HP helpdesk couldn't have given out this advice.

Honor Student
Message 10 of 25 (28,200 Views)

What I should have said is thanks to  Mystic-Alchemy. Did the trick fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation