cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Soarick
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 22
Flag Post

HP Envy 4500 printer ink smear when highlight

HP Recommended

Why does HP ink smear badly when highlight and not from other brands like canon? (even if it is left to dry for a day)

Using the same type of paper and highlighter. (Both are inkjet printers)

Below are the results:

Highlight.png

Hope anyone could solve this problem as I require to print documents and highlight for my school work. Thanks!

The paper that i am using is PaperOne All Purpose Paper

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
Jamieson
Retired
Retired
8,276 7,338 382 840
Message 2 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Soarick , and welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I see you are looking at ink smear issues.  I would like to help.

It is usually a matter of pigment based ink vs. dye based ink.  Certain inks require certain paper types, such as ColorLok paper.

In this document on Fixing Ink Streaks, Faded Prints, and Other Common Print Quality Problems, It states the following:

Use the correct paper type for your project.
For everyday text documents, plain paper with ColorLok technology works well. Paper with ColorLok technology is industry-standard paper that works well with HP ink.
Figure 7: Plain paper with ColorLok technology is recommended for text printing

For documents with dense printing, such as high contrast graphics or photographs, use HP Advanced Photo Paper for the best results.
Some media may not absorb ink as well as others. If your prints smear easily, make sure you are using a recommended paper.

I would recommend trying a different highlighter as well, in case there are any chemical reaction issues.

I would also recommend this document on HP print permanence and durability.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thanks for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
wilmaaa13
Level 1
2 2 0 3
Message 3 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I use the HP multipurpose 20lb paper with ColorLok Technology and my ink still smears with a highligher( weeks after it has been printed). I agree that it is very irritating when needing to highlight for school work. 

I also use the HP Instant Ink program and wonder if the ink is just low quality? 

Jamieson
Retired
Retired
8,276 7,338 382 840
Message 4 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @wilmaaa13 , and welcome!

Were you able to perform the troubleshooting steps above?

Have you tried a different type of highlighter?

Please let me know!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Soarick
Author
2 1 0 1
Message 5 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

For me, the problem have not yet been solve after countless changing of highlighters etc. The problem still persist. I even called HP support and they actually told me not to use their printer to print school work  and to use a photocopier machine instead. The reply I get from the customer service is totally ridiculous.

However, after some time, they called me back and asked me to exchange my printer with a new one as there might be faults in the printer head (which I do not think is the issue). They said that they will also do an investigation on it.

Tags (1)
wilmaaa13
Level 1
2 2 0 3
Message 6 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP print permanence and durability. does not give any additional helpful information.
The link to  Fixing Ink Streaks, Faded Prints, and Other Common Print Quality Problems does not seem to be working.

Yes, I have tried different highlighters, the problem still persists.

Jamieson
Retired
Retired
8,276 7,338 382 840
Message 7 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi wilmaaa13

After reviewing the issue, the best recommendation I could make would be to contact HP directly.  You can utilize this website to learn how to contact HP appropriately, based on your region: Contact HP Worldwide.

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Acalvillo00
2 2 0 1
Message 8 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I also have the same issues! Ive spent more money on different expensive colorlock paper & smear proof $10 highlighters. The only reason i got this printer was beacuse of instaink. What other printers do u have that wont smear when i highlight?
Sizzlingsum_13
Retired
Retired
1,409 1,409 74 136
Message 9 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello@Acalvillo00

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, Thank you for posting your query.

I see that you have print quality issues on HP Envy 4500 printer.

I'll be more than glad to help you out.

Here I would recommend you to print in the draft mode while trying to highlight.

I have also found that the pages would need to dry for a few minutes before using the highlighter. 

Once you try these suggestions, please report back.

Cheers, Have a nice weekend.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Acalvillo00
2 2 0 1
Message 10 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I do wait a few minutes. How do i print in draft mode? Ive never heard of that.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation