cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

HP Envy 4500 printer preferences locked

HP Recommended

I verified that I am the administrator on my account and I still have locked "network printer preferences" on my new envy 4500.

HP phone support is no help, they sent me to Dell. Dell said its an HP problem. HELP!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17,328 17,221 901 2,539
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi roopyroo,

I would like to help you gain access to your printer preferences. Do you see an error message that states "network printer preferences is locked"? Could you send a me screenshot of what you see?  How to take and post a screenshot on HP Support Forum.

Also, what version of Windows do you have? Which Windows operating system am I running?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

when I click on " network printer preferences"  I see "yellow locks"  on each preference. How do I get rid of the "yellow locks" so I can control my printing preferences? Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17,328 17,221 901 2,539
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi roopyroo,

From your description, I believe you might be referring to the network menu on the front panel of the printer. Let's restore the network defaults, and also check for a firmware update.

1. On the front panel of the printer, please touch the wireless icon, the first of the 3 icons on the right. Navigate through the menu to Restore Defaults.
  2. Download and run the following firmware update; HP Envy 4500 series firmware update to improve printer performance. This Firmware update improves an...
    • Enabled Scheduled Delivery/Printables
    • Improves Connectivity reliability of your device
    • Fixes miscellaneous minor defects
  3. On the front panel of the printer, please touch the wireless icon again and go to Wireless Setup Wizard.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue. Thanks.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Highlighted
Level 13
Level 13
6,297 6,267 506 1,071
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, 

The "Yellow Locks" are pre-defined settings for the list on the right.

If you happen to change any values on right ( for example, Paper type / size etc ), a "User Specified Print Settings" instance will be created.

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, why wouldn't the lock icons not be present after you change any values on the right?   As far as I can tell there is no visual to indicate a preference change choice.  Why would you need the  lock icons to begin with?  In previous printers I've owned by HP, none of the preferences had locks on them and you could select your preference as needed by the print job.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP 7645--need to make permanent changes to printer defaults, but since WIN 10 they are all locked.  I tried to follow the advice on a response to a different printer but it didn't work.  Your souluton would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation