Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4501
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

I have put in a new HP 61 SL cartridge, reloaded the software twice (using original CD and online dowload of 115 MB), done the HP Print Doctor.  Printed old and a new Word document.  Printing is dark and strong, but every other line  (or every 2 lines) is blank, totally blank.

I started out the day with almost nothing being printed, so I'm halfway or 1/3rd of the way to correcting the problem.  

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Using a wet coffee filter (as suggested somewhere, maybe in the Forum), I cleaned the electrical contacts on the new HP 61 XL cartridge and the contacts on the carriage, TWICE.  Both times I let the areas cleaned dry for 10 minutes or more.

"The second time was the charm."  I printed out a Word 2013 document twice, both in Best and Draft quality and all lines printed after the SECOND cleaning. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.