cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ScotTex
Level 1
7 5 1 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Envy 4520 does not print Word files double sided on wifi, only on USB

HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I posted a question earlier about not being able to print wirelessly from my Macbook Air to my new Envy 4520 printer. I then gave a followup saying  I had resolved it.

What I did not know then was that it would only print MS Word 2011 for Apple Mac files one-sided wirelessly, but if the USB cable were plugged in, it would do double-sided printing too. I also did not know that my fix to get the printer working wirelessly also resulted in no scanning wirelessly.

I have just spent two hours with an HP technician on the phone and working remotely on my laptop. She solved the wireless scanning problem, but not the duplex printing problem with MS Word. We did establish that I can print a pdf file from Preview or Adobe double-sided wirelessly, though. So the issue seems to be with Word.

On my old defunct Cannon printer that this one replaced, I had no problems printing any documents double-sided wirelessly. 

Any suggestions how to resolve this?

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
ShlomiL
Level 17
Level 17
31,191 30,905 5,327 12,408
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,
Please follow the steps and let me know the results:

From the Word file used to print click the File menu and select Print.
NOTE: The Print window might be minimized. Press on Show Details to show any available print option.

Click the Copies & Pages drop-down within Microsoft Office applications.

Select Layout from the drop-down menu.

Set the Two-Sided option as Long-Edge binding (Portrait), or Short-Edge binding (landscape) and try printing.

You may save the settings for future use by clicking Presets > Save Current Settings as Preset... Any used preset will remain default till another preset will be used.

What are the shown results for the print job?

Regards,
Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
ScotTex
Author
Level 1
7 5 1 0
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Click the Copies & Pages drop-down within Microsoft Office applications.

Select Layout from the drop-down menu.

Set the Two-Sided option as Long-Edge binding (Portrait), or Short-Edge binding (landscape) and try printing.
Regards,
Shlomi

Dear Shlomi.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unnfortunately it is not the solution. I have allready been doing this with all of my Word documents and wireless printers. Using layout always works with other printers and it works with this one too when the printer cable is attached, just not wirelessly. The HP technician couldn't work out why either.

0 Kudos
ShlomiL
Level 17
Level 17
31,191 30,905 5,327 12,408
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

From System Preferences  > Printers & Scanners, double click the printer queue.

What is the listed kind? may it shown as AirPrint?

Try adding a new queue by cicking the plus sign, select your printer and click the Use drop down menu.

Select the HP printer model instead the default AirPrint option and confirm.

Now try printing with the newly created queue.

If an HP driver was already set, trying the other alternative asuch as AirPrint can also be tried.

Please let me know if that may help,

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
ScotTex
Author
Level 1
7 5 1 0
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ShlomiL wrote:

Hi,

From System Preferences  > Printers & Scanners, double click the printer queue.

What is the listed kind? may it shown as AirPrint?

There is nothing inthe print queueScreen Shot 2016-01-29 at 11.27.24 AM.png

0 Kudos
ScotTex
Author
Level 1
7 5 1 0
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tried again. Failed.

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 11.33.39 AM.png

0 Kudos
ScotTex
Author
Level 1
7 5 1 0
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

From Microsoft forum:

"If you are able to print correctly from Word when hooked up with a cable, then Word is working correctly. The wireless part has absolutely nothing to do with Word, Word has no wireless features built in. Wireless communications are between the operating system and the printer driver: at this point Word is out of the picture.

The sad truth is that since HP ran into financial problems a few years back, they have cut back on driver testing, especially with less-popular operating systems like OS X and Linux. Many users on Windows who use less-popular programs like Microsoft Publisher are also experiencing more difficulties with HP printers. They just don't have enough in their R&D budget any more to test every program in every operating system."

This seems the most likely issue. It's a dirver prlobem. Maybe in some future version of the HP driver for Mac, it will work. Not holding my breath.

0 Kudos
j3r
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I keep getting the same old reply - which does not help.

I believe there is a simple solution:

Press Print

Select COPIES & PAGES

Select LAYOUT

NB the box TWO-SIDED OFF

Click this Box and you have the option to slect either Long Sided or Short sided.

Select eith and press PRINT .

I have no idea why the Experts could not give this to me - Try iy, I bet it workd

0 Kudos
AthensAlan
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually, I think there is a more clear resolution. It is a driver issue, but that is because there are multiple drivers. One does print successfully two sided, and one does not. Unhelpfully, the two drivers have the same driver number in the About screen, but if you choose Print and Paper Quality form the drop down menu when printing, you will see that one driver has a slider which allows you to choose your print quality (draft, normal, best) and the other has a drop down with some additional options. The second of these drivers does not print two-sided, while the first one does. I was able to "install" the forst one when I plugged my printer in to the cable. After I did that it would not allow me to print wirelessly at all from any driver. I used the printer screen to reset the network settings and reentered my wireless information into the printer. I then went to Settings->Printers and scanners and clicked the plus sign under the list to add a printer. Since I had reset the the network on the printer it showed up and installed the faulty driver. But afterward the correct driver worked over wirreless. 

This is truly awful software design by HP. It would seme the latest wireless driver is faulty, where the previous one wasn't. 

0 Kudos
drh1111
3 3 0 0
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you had any luck trying to print 2 sided? I have tried to change the setting on the actual printer but some reason it doesn't stay on 2 sided and reverts back to being off. Why is this?

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation