cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
KapaunCrusader
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP Envy 5660 will print every once and a while

HP Recommended
Envy 5660
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I am struggling with my printer. Sometimes it connects but most of the time it will say could not connect to printer. If i print the network summary it works no problem but if I try any documents of a picture it will not print. Usually when I first turn on the printer it works then any document or picture after that will not work. Even in I turn it off and back on it will not print. Any ideas for me? I do have the mac desktop with mac os 10.11 El Capita.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DocCottle
Retired
Retired
5,028 4,829 404 709
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @KapaunCrusader,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you are having some issues with printing wirelessly from your Mac OSX 10.11 machine to your Envy 5660 e-All-In-One Printer. I can help you with that.

The next time you are not able to print we'll do the following:

1. Turn the printer off.
  2. While the printer is turned off remove the power cable from the back of the router for one minute.
  3. When the lights return on the router, turn the printer on.

At this point you should be able to print. If you are able to print then the issue is your router is dropping connections across your network and your printer, being more reactionary than your Mac, does not realize that the connection has been dropped. This document outlines how to troubleshoot wireless connectivity issues with your printer. This document was designed for a different printer, but the networking concepts are the same.

If you are still unable to print then on your printer click on the wireless icon that looks like a radio tower. If you see a line that says Status: Not Connected, click on the gear, and then Wireless Setup to connect the printer to your network. If you see a line that says Status: Connected, then note the first numbers in the IP Address:

• If the IP Address starts with 169 then the printer is not obtaining a proper IP Address from the router. Contact whoever provided you with your router to determine why the printer will not obtain an IP Address.
  • If the IP Address starts with 172 then the printer is connected to a Guest network. Contact whoever provided you with your router to disable the Guest network.
  • If the IP Address starts with 192 or 10 then the printer is connected properly to a network. Please let me know as the issue is likely Mac related and I can provide you with more troubleshooting steps.
  • If the IP Address starts with any other number then the network is being maintained by another person or organization. Contact whoever maintains the network for more assistance as they will need to get some settings from the printer or network to make them communicate.

Please let me know if this allows you to print more regularly or if you have any other questions. Otherwise, have a great day!

If this resolves your issues, please help other users know by clicking Accept Solution below my post.

If you appreciate my help, please let others know by clicking on the thumbs up icon below my post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Chat_Dave_UK
Level 4
99 99 9 19
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@KapaunCrusader wrote:

I am struggling with my printer. Sometimes it connects but most of the time it will say could not connect to printer. If i print the network summary it works no problem but if I try any documents of a picture it will not print. Usually when I first turn on the printer it works then any document or picture after that will not work. Even in I turn it off and back on it will not print. Any ideas for me? I do have the mac desktop with mac os 10.11 El Capita.

Hi,

It sounds like your HP 5660 is connected as an Air Print Printer (Bonjour) and somehow Bonjour stopped working properly after your first print.

When something stopped Bonjour working properly, it usually causes,
1) no air print printer found, or

2) 5 mins print delay per page up

Try

1) power cycle the printer, or

2) Re-enable Bonjour in the printer configuration, or

3) connecting to Printer's Wifi Direct

These should help Bonjour letting your mac to discover the printer straight away.

If these do not work for you, try add the printer using IP address instead of Air Print, preferrably setting your printer using static ip address using the printer Embedded Web Server.

Hope this help.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation