Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had my HP Envy 7640 for a few months and all worked fine.  Recently, I've been getting messages that my printer is "Offline" and the ONLY way to fix it is to un an reinstall the printer.  So I've done that several times over a 3 wk period with it slowly becoming more frequent until today. 

Today it simply stopped printing and mentioned some internal issue.  The troubleshooter/hp dr software said I needed to download the latest drivers.  Do that and save them, uninstall the printer, and reinstall and double click on a new link on my desktop. 

So I did, then it said I needed to run an uninstall repair tool to completely uninstall my printer.  Did that.  Then restarted my lap top as directed.  Then it put me back to the install my printer, but by this time all the docs that were waiting during my crash started printing.

In the meanwhile, I followed the directions to reinstall.  The software finds my printer, finds the IP address, but when I click Next to install it kicks me back to find my device, and then finds the IP address, I click next, and goes briefly to the  installing screen, then switches back to find "your device".  This happened again and again and again.  It did give me the option to hook up a USB cable to find the printer, but I have a wireless set up so there should be no need esp since it finds the correct printr and IP address and furthermore, I don't have a USB cable to do it.  So I X'd out of it, frustrated.

SO, I'm afraid that "something" happened and now I cannot install the latest drivers I downloaded bc there's some "internal issue" and without that, I may have this uninstall/reinstall issue every few days until either I die or the printer does.  This is rediculous and I need help.

Could anyone who knows the answer that also speaks in non-computer language so even I can understand them PLEASE respond?

Thanks in advance to all who reads this.  I appreciate it!!!

Lynn

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @lynn06,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that your HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer keeps disconnecting from the network.

This issue could occur if the router is very far from the printer or the firmware may not be updated.

Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.

You may update the firmware from the link: Firmware Update

Also, you may follow the steps in the document from the link: Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.