Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to install HP Envy 7640 wirelessly and even though the printer is connected to the wireless network, and the computer sees and finds the printer, on the setup window I get an error message that it can't connect to the printer and can't continue the set up.  I have tried everything, but nothing seems to work.  Any solutions?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@MichaelMais

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer and trying to set it up wirelessly. The printer seems to be connected to the wireless network and the computer sees and finds the printer. At the setup screen, it says can't connect to the printer and can't continue the setup. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• How are you trying to install the printer drivers (CD or have downloaded from the HP website)?
  • If you using the CD then I suggest you to abort it and install the drivers from the HP website link

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cord from the router.

• Turn off the printer.

• Close all running programs on your computer, including the HP software installation window, then shut down the computer.

• Reconnect the power cord to the router, then wait for the Internet activity light to display a normal connected status.

• Turn on the printer.

• Turn on the computer.

• Try installing the HP driver and software again.

If the issue still persists then I suggest you to perform the steps as described in detail from this link.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know the results. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi Kazi,

Thanks for your help, I tried the solution suggested but it didn't work. I downloaded the latest printer drivers from HP web site, i disabled the firewall, i disabled the antivirus, but I still get the same error.  Please see the pictures attached. 

Can you suggest anything?Error screen 1.pngError screen 2.png

HP Recommended

I downloaded the latest printer drivers from HP web site. 

HP Recommended

@MichaelMais

Thank you for replying with the information. I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot. 🙂

I did some further research on this issue and looks like there is something in the computer which is blocking the printer from getting installed. I suggest you to uninstall the drivers from the root level using the following steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.

Once you have uninstalled the printer drivers, follow these steps to automatically repair issues including corrupted registry keys that block you from installing or removing programs:

• Select the Download button on this page.
  • In the File Download dialog box, click Run or Open, and then follow the steps in the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter: http://aka.ms/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

Finally, please download and install the printer drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2o87hCg

I hope this helps. Let me know the results. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Your suggestion simple doesn't work tried it about 6 times with no luck at all. The software has all of the information correct but it will not installed the printer. Of course that is wrong I have another HP Pavillion that has no problem & works perfect. The Pavillion is a home addition all in one and this is a HP ENVY TS 17 Notebook PC running Windows 10 Pro version 1703 with Media Creator installed. Hope there are some really good suggestions.

HP Recommended

Greetings @bobandgail

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are unable to print to your Envy 7640 printer from your computer running on Windows 10 Pro version 1703 with Media Creator installed.

Kudos to you for uninstalling the printer in the method suggested and installing it back on the computer. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

May I know how is the printer connected to your computer? USB or wireless. 

Have you tried to use HP Print and Scan doctor to resolve the issue automatically?

Are you able to make a copy on the printer?

Note: HP Printers do not work or connect to 5Ghz networks. If you are using a dual band router, please give different names to 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz networks and connect the printer to the 2.4Ghz network. 

Copy function of a printer is independent of the software on the computer.

If you are unable to make a copy, please do hard reset (disconnect the power cable of the printer, wait for a minute and connect the power cord directly to a wall outlet and turn the printer ON.)

If the printer still does not make a copy after a hard reset. Please contact our phone support for the service or upgrade options for the printer. 

If you are able to make a copy on the printer. Recommend you uninstall the printer software again by following the procedure mentioned below. setup the printer using a USB connection and check. 

Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)

Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)

Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 

Click on print server properties. 

You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.

Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.

Restart the PC.

Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 

Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.

It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).

If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.

Restart the PC again. 

Download the latest full feature driver from www.hp.com/drivers and install it on the computer.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 

Once the printer is working fine with USB connection, please refer to this HP Article to convert the USB connection to wireless. 

Once the printer working fine with wireless. For stable connectivity with the printer, please assign a static IP address to the printer by following the procedure mentioned below. 

• Obtain the IP address of the printer (which can found by pressing the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel)
  • Enter the IP address on the web browser (Ex: chrome, IE) to enter the printer EWS page.
  • Go to the “Network” tab, click on “Wireless (802.11) then click on “Network address (IPV4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.