cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Maya1005
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP F2480 - Cartridge Cradle Cannot Move

Hi there,

I installed a genuine HP black ink cartridge yesterday, and everything was working completely fine.

However, after turning the printer on today, the cartridge cradle made an incredibly loud noise. After opening the cover, I saw the cartridge cradle moving side to side in a very rapid motion, hitting the sides of the printer.

The HP Solution Center stated that there was a jam or obstruction in the cartridge cradle. I thought this may be due to the new cartridge, which I removed. 

I've checked the rollers and opened the cover of the printer and there seems to be no obstruction. The printer was working completely fine yesterday and this has only happened after I installed a new cartridge.

The noise the printer makes when I turn it on is very worrying, can anyone advise me a solution to the problem?

Thanks so much.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Level 16
Level 16
32,595 25,973 2,374 8,010
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There is a narrow (about 1/4" wide) plastic strip that runs behind the carriage.  This encoder strip provides information to the printer about the position of the carriage.  If this strip has become dislodged or damaged it would result in the symptoms you see.  In this case the printer will require service, you will need to Contact HP.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"----------V

Maya1005
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there,

Thanks for the speedy reply 🙂

I noticed the transparent, narrow strip hanging off on one side inside the printer nearby the cradle. I removed this before posting on the forum because I thought it may have been the object causing the obstruction. 

Is there a way in which I could place it back in myself? It would save the hassle of contacting repairs etc 🙂

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Level 16
Level 16
32,595 25,973 2,374 8,010
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The encoder strip being removed is certainly the cause of the issue here.  It is not simple to replace and I do not have a F2480 to inspect, but for a similar issue with an Officejet 6500 I posted some pictures and instructions here.  Start by examining the ends of the strip, if they are torn I would suggest you try a repair with strong tape, and then recut the proper hole in the end.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"----------V

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation