Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (5,286 Views)

HP F4280 gives "E" error message. Can't fix.

The printer was working fine 2 days ago. For absolutely no reason, it started to fail.

First, it printed a bunch of pages skipping secions on the paper. Then, at powerup, it makes some noises and then shows "E" on the "copies" LCD display, and RESUME blinks. Every time I  press resume, same happens. Printer feeds some of the paper through it and then stops, same every time I press resume.

If I open the cartridge compartment, the cartridges do not move there. They are stationary at the opposite end of the printer.

What has just happened and how do I fix it? i need to print.

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
Professor
Message 2 of 6 (5,272 Views)

Hello kikendo,

Check out the link below, find the blinking lights pattern you are experiencing, and then follow the steps to resolve the issue:

http://goo.gl/1opzG
:) If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution :)
Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (5,262 Views)

Re: HP F4280 gives "E" error message. Can't fix.

[ Edited ]

No, I have gone thorugh all "solutions" and have seen online MANY people having the SAME problem and nobody giving a solution, with answers usually pointing to the useless HP websites with blinknig lights and what not.

LCD NUMBER DISPLAY PANEL DISPLASY LETTER "E" ON IT. CARTRIDGES WOULDN'T EVEN PARK TO POSITION WHERE I CAN REMOVE THEM.

I would apreciate an answer from somebody who know what is going on and how to fix it instead of a rather inconsiderate textbook customer support reply from a so-called "expert".

Professor
Message 4 of 6 (5,250 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you have completed all the steps in the linked article, and are still experiencing a problem, it may indicate a hardware failure of some sort. The next step would be to repair/replace the printer.

First, you will want to determine if your product is in warranty or out of warranty. If you need help determining your product’s warranty status, you can use HP’s Warranty Check Tool .

-If your product is in warranty , contact HP.

-If your product is out of warranty , click here to view additional printer support options starting as low as $20.

:) If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution :)
Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (5,237 Views)

Re: HP F4280 gives "E" error message. Can't fix.

Well, that is FAR from helpful. I want to know what the printer has and why it stopped working unexpectedly with no reason whatsoever. It's giving out an error message ("E") and nobody explains what it is and you are not explaining it either, you just want me to shell out cash to take it to repair or something.

I asked for solutions and explanations, not for patronizing excuses to make me buy a new device.

It's going to the bin and I am never buying HP again.

Professor
Message 6 of 6 (5,224 Views)

The "E" is a generalized code that stands for 'Error'. As to what caused the specific error and what hardware has failed, without inspecting the printer itself, I don't believe there is a way to know this.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation