Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 8600 Office jet pro

My HP 8600 Printer which has served me without problem for a long while has suddenly stopped working: no power. What should I do? I have checked the power cord, changed sockets but nothing has changed.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Mario58

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I Understand the HP OfficeJet K8600 isn't powering on anymore,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you check your User Guide to find a solution?

Did you try an alternate adapter or power supply to check if that works?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

Step 1: Check the compatibility of the external power module

Make sure the external power module is compatible with the printer.

If you need to replace the power cord or power module, go to the HP Parts Store.

1. Make sure the connector on the external power module cord is the same shape and color as the connector on the printer.

CAUTION:

• If the power cord connector is not compatible with the printer, replace the power cord with a compatible power cord or power module.

• If the power cord connector is compatible with the printer connector, but the printer still does not turn on, continue with these steps.

2. Never force a power cord to connect with an HP printer when the power cord is not compatible with the printer (different shape or size).

3. Make sure the voltage and amperage specifications printed on the power module match the voltage and amperage specifications on the printer.

For more information about power specifications for your printer, go to the HP website.
    • If the voltage and amperage specifications do not match, replace the power module.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS. (look under external supply).

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle Decipher.

Thanks for the reply. I have spent hours going through the online manual, and have checked the power cable. It works on other items so it cannot be the problem, it is a standard cable as the manual states, so then this only leaves a 'power supply' issue inside the machine itself? Am I correct? So I need to look for and try and buy another part to instal inside the printer? My only option I think? Never done this before so will try.

HP Recommended

Hello, @Mario58

I see that you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher. He is out of the office today but I'd be glad to help!

Going through your post, it definitely looks like the power unit failure on your printer. But I would advise you against replacing a part inside the printer instead of the whole machine. We cannot be completely sure that the power supply unit will resolve the until we try. Hence I would recommend you contacting the HP phone support to get the printer serviced or for a possible upgrade.

You can visit http://www.support.hp.com/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi HP guy. I tried getting phone support but the very annoying website , once it read my product details and realised it is more than 1 year old, directed me straight to use the system I am now. Very sad. 

So I got some guy to come out to my house and he opened it all up and beleved it was the power supply, and put some copper wiring around the faulty part which didn't work so he now believes it's the main board so is coming back in a few days to try to fix this. I have $150 worth of ink in here right now so I am not buying another printer, and want this one fixed.

It is a real shame HP will not allow me to phone them, so sad, really, as I believe in asking for and receiving help to fix something rather than throwing a great product away.

Thanks for you letter.

HP Recommended

@Mario58

It looks like you were interacting with @Dvortex, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm back at your service. 

I understand your concern and the fact that the process you've gone through could be frustrating, hence, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details). 

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution. 

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment. 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Riddle Decipher. I will wait and see if someone contacts me before the guy comes back this Thursday to have a go at my main board. Cheers

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.