cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
LWB2002
2 1 0 2
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

HP LJ400 document feeder stops partway through scanning papers

HP Recommended
HP Color LJ 400 (MFP)
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have been scanning (to a thumb drive) a lot of papers (8.5 x 11") on my color LJ and saving as a PDF.  This does not involve a computer, just the USB port on the printer.  It worked great for a long time, but it recently started freezing near the end of a stack of paper.  No sign of a paper jam and no errors.  If I cancel, nothing is saved and the the printer insists the thumb drive is busy and I have to turn off printer and then turn back on to reset.

I decreased the size of the stack of paper from nearly 50 to about 30 pages, but still it occasionally happened.   And the frequency of occurrence is on the increase.   Now sometimes I even get a paper jam error in the document feeer (nothing is jammed).  I assume something needs cleaned to fix this paper feeding problem, but all the cleaning info is for the printer paper path, not the document feeder.

And ideas on cleaning the paper feeder or info on what the problem might be?  It worked so well for a long time.

1 REPLY 1
LWB2002
Author
2 1 0 2
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried cleaning the roller and the "paper separator" with distilled water from instructions on one HP site.  Did not help.  Mostly quits 2 to 5 pages before the end of the stack of paper - regardless of whether it is 20 sheets or 50 sheets.  Sheet on top has been picked up but has not come out across the glass.  The sheet previously in the scanner is about 2/3 of the way into the catch area (can be easily pulled out after cancelling scan).  The top sheet requires lifting the roller and pulling rather hard to remove.  Most of the time there is no error and the display says it is scanning to USB, but it just sitting there.  Will not do any further operations until printer is turned off and back on.  Says it is busy if I try to restart the scan.

The papers being scanned are in good condition without curled or damaged edges.  And it used to work fine.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation