Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP LaserJet P1505n, connected by Ethertnet to my LAN, has been working flawlessly for three years.  The last time I turned it on, it could not get an IP address by DHCP.  I verified this by printing a self test page.  The IP adress is 0.0.0.0.  I looked at the self test page from three years ago and saw that the IP address was 192.168.0.100.

No recent changes have been made to my network.  I verified that the Ethernet cable and connection to my router were fine by  switching Ethernet cables with a laptop.  The laptop worked with both cables and connections while the printer failed to work with either configuration.

Any suggestions (besides trying to deal with HP support - a disaster) would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Thank you for your timely reply. This morning, the problem resolved itself. I have a few computers on the network. Of the two that I tried to print from, one runs WIN XP and the other runs Ubuntu Linux. When neither printed a test page, I checked the DHCP client list on my Belkin router (model unknown) and found that the printer was not present. That was when I printed the self-test page and found the IP address 0.0.0.0. This was the situation last Saturday up until last night. This morning, I checked the DHCP client list again and the printer (miraculously?) appeared in the list. I left the system on all night and cannot explain why it came back The printer is working normally on both computers and OS's. To answer your other questions, all lights on the printer and router seemed to be lit normally throughout this whole ordeal. On the printer, the green light was on and the amber light occasionally blinked. That was another mystery that baffled me. Finally, when I swapped Ethernet cables, it was at the printer, not at the router. That would change the port on the router. Neither configuration worked on the printer; however, both configurations worked using my laptop. I did not try a hard reset as you suggested. I only turned the printer off and on without disconnecting the power. If the problem reappears, that will be the first thing to try. Thanks again for your reply. If you have any other thoughts, I would love to hear them. My wife managed to pick up an HP Deskjet 3050 at a flea market with no documentation. I'm going to attempt to install it on my system sometime soon. I may be back on this forum. Finally, I take back my comment regarding HP support. I am pleasantly surprised that an HP employee responded.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

What operating system do your computers use?  This would be helpful to know if any steps needed to be performed from a computer.

When the Ethernet cable is connected to the router and the printer, do the network lights on both devices indicate a connection?  If there is no connection detected, the lights (green and amber in most cases) on the Ethernet port on both ends will not be on.

What brand/model of router is being used?

When you swapped the cables, did you also change the ports they were connected to on the router?  If not, try connecting the printer to a different port on the router.  Did anything change?  

EDIT:

Try disconnecting the power from the printer for one minute and then reconnect the power and turn it on (if it has not turned on automatically).  Was there a change?  This is known as a hard reset and it reinitializes the hardware and software in the printer which also forces it to try and establish a network connection again.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended
Thank you for your timely reply. This morning, the problem resolved itself. I have a few computers on the network. Of the two that I tried to print from, one runs WIN XP and the other runs Ubuntu Linux. When neither printed a test page, I checked the DHCP client list on my Belkin router (model unknown) and found that the printer was not present. That was when I printed the self-test page and found the IP address 0.0.0.0. This was the situation last Saturday up until last night. This morning, I checked the DHCP client list again and the printer (miraculously?) appeared in the list. I left the system on all night and cannot explain why it came back The printer is working normally on both computers and OS's. To answer your other questions, all lights on the printer and router seemed to be lit normally throughout this whole ordeal. On the printer, the green light was on and the amber light occasionally blinked. That was another mystery that baffled me. Finally, when I swapped Ethernet cables, it was at the printer, not at the router. That would change the port on the router. Neither configuration worked on the printer; however, both configurations worked using my laptop. I did not try a hard reset as you suggested. I only turned the printer off and on without disconnecting the power. If the problem reappears, that will be the first thing to try. Thanks again for your reply. If you have any other thoughts, I would love to hear them. My wife managed to pick up an HP Deskjet 3050 at a flea market with no documentation. I'm going to attempt to install it on my system sometime soon. I may be back on this forum. Finally, I take back my comment regarding HP support. I am pleasantly surprised that an HP employee responded.
HP Recommended

I am glad it is now working for you.

When it comes to networking and printers, a hard reset is good starting point.  Also, it does not hurt to do a hard reset on the router as well.  A hard reset on the router will disrupt the network connection momentarily, but you may find overall network performance has improved as a result.

You may find it helpful to set a static IP address as well.

This can be done on most printers with the following steps:

1.  Print the network configuration page if you do not know the current DHCP information in the printer.

2.  Enter the printer's IP address in a web browser to connect to the printer's embedded web server (EWS) to get more setting options.

3.  There should be a network or networking option at the top.  Click on this.

4.  Here, you have the IP information page.  Change this to manual.

5.  Enter the IP address, default gateway, and subnet mask found on the network configuration printout.  

For the IP address, I recommend setting it to something that is outside the DHCP range of the router ( to avoid future IP conflict issues).

Example:  Router's DHCP range is from 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253.  I would recommend setting it to something like 192.168.1.60 as that is outside of the range and the router will not assign this address to another device.

6.  For DNS, set preferred (primary) to 8.8.8.8 and alternate (secondary) to 8.8.4.4 for best results.  While you can try to find your ISP's DNS servers, it is generally easier and faster to enter Google's public DNS servers and they tend to be very reliable in my experience.

7.  Save or apply these new settings.

8.  Once you get the success message, power off the printer for 30 seconds and then power it back on to force the new settings to take effect.

Setting a static IP address can help with DHCP issues as it elimates the need for DHCP for the printer as it will already have the correct network information. 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Hi there. Our P1505n was working fine yesterday but today it isn't. I have done a hard reset but it refuses to get an IP from the DHCP. It reverts to its default. When i connect a laptop directly to it i can access the web console but when ever i try change the IP it refuses and just reverts back to the default!!! I am stumped and people are ticked because they can't print!

HP Recommended
Hi, Your problem sounds identical to the problem I had with my HP1505n. In my case, the problem resolved itself without my help; but, it took five days to happen! I assume you performed a hard reset on the router as well as the printer. I wish I could give you a suggestion or two. I'm still baffled. I'm just happy that the problem has not recurred. If I stumble across a procedure that actively fixes the problem, I'll reply to you again. Good luck!
HP Recommended

I got issue on mine, this printer was not used around 2 years so i started it up now but at the neowtking information and at the Print settings is written in every row "not available" any idea what should i doo?

Thanks

Ervin

HP Recommended

I too have had problems getting the printer to work on ethernet.  Doing a hard reset to the router solved the problem.  Don't know why I didn't visit this site sooner. 

Thanks andyjas

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.