Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 24 (12,747 Views)

HP LaserJet Pro 200 color MFP M276 - new - Device error and Cleaning cycle issues

HP LaserJet Pro 200 color MFP M276 - this is a new printer a friend purchased at Staples. It connects WiFi okay and prints when prompted to but it then does a "Cleaning" cycle after every print job. It also displays "Device Error" at the same time. It has been powercycled as instructed and the error continues to reappear and the "Cleaning" cycle continues as well after each and every print job. My friend paid Staples to set up this printer to a new Acer Laptop and D-Link router he also purchased before he brought them home. He was told everything works fine .. they lied .. Laptop and router have no issues .. just the printer. The Laptop sees the printer okay and software is installed without issue. Any ideas why the "Device Error" and "Cleaning" cycle after every print job is happening? He is on the verge of taking the whole outfit back as Staples has not assisted him and instead directed him to download the manuals from HP. Any suggestions are appreciated

Distinguished Professor
Message 2 of 24 (12,701 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet Pro 200 color MFP M276 - new - Device error and Cleaning cycle issues

Have you tried a hard reset on it? I know you said you power cycled it, but a hard reset is sometimes different than what some people consider a power cycle.

Follow these steps to perform a hard reset on the printer.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the product.

2. With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.

3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

4. Wait at least 15 seconds.

5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.

7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the power button to turn it on.

Try that out and let me know if it helps.

Best of luck,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
Message 3 of 24 (12,697 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet Pro 200 color MFP M276 - new - Device error and Cleaning cycle issues

Thanks for the reply Kyle .. I haven't tried bumping it this way but I will give it a go. I hope to see the owner again at the end of this week and I will try this. I have downloaded a firmware update for this model but not installed as yet. I will try your idea before installing that. The only thing I can think of trying is the firmware update that I found and then uninstalling the software and then reinstall the drivers only  package to see if that corrects the issue. The owner is truly disappointed with it all as he paid Staples to do this work for him so he could avoid these issues.

I will update this posting on what happens end of this week or sometime next week. The owner is a busy fellow and hard to nail him down on a time I can get back there and try this.

Thanks again .. Robert

Firmware

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=kj-108130-3

Distinguished Professor
Message 4 of 24 (12,691 Views)

Not a problem Robert. Good idea on updating the firmware, as that would have been my next suggestion. It sounds like you got everything pretty much covered. Be sure to update me with the results and if you are still having issues, I will see if I can find any more information to help you.

Best of luck,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
Message 5 of 24 (12,638 Views)

Hi Kyle,

My HP LaserJet Pro 200 MFP prints one single page and then goes into "cleaning" mode for a while, then gives me a "device error", I have tried everything in the system menu, unsuccessfuly. I cannot use it for anything else other a single page print job, I feel terrible after spending more than 450 usd on it. Can you help me out?

Professor
Message 6 of 24 (12,635 Views)

You will get this type of error message as well as a cleaning cycle if you have a paper mismatch. Check and see if the paper size in your tray matchs the size that is set in your printer preferences. 

Go to: Devices and Printer folder - right click on printer - click on printer preferences - check paper sizes.

You need to make sure that the paper sizes here match what you have in the tray. Also, check the same thing in whatever application you are printing from.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

Top Student
Message 7 of 24 (12,627 Views)

Howdy Kyle,

I tried to get back to this person to do the firmware install etc. and had to give it up. After 3 weeks of trying to get back there, he told me he has some personal relationship issues he was dealing with and that is his proiority for now. I did upload the software for him to my Dropbox and gave him instructions hoping he may try this on his own. If and when he does is an unknown at this time. I was looking forward to figuring this out and maybe sometime farther down the road I will have an opportunity to do so. If that happens and this post is still alive I will reply accordingly. Thanks for your interest in helping me resolve this.

Robert

Honor Student
Message 8 of 24 (12,602 Views)

I have to say that I´ve tried just about everything you said and It just continues doing the same thing, it goes into a "cleaning" mode and it stays that way until it finally gives me an error.

Also, any print job I order takes forever to be processed and printed, just one page the machine takes almost a minute o more "printing" but it´s actually not doing anything at all.

It´s as if there´s too much code in it and too many resources are wasted coding or doing some background processes that we don´t what they for anyways. 

Top Student
Message 9 of 24 (12,595 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Joseangeldemty .... Did you happen to try the Firemware update at the following link? I am curious if it helps ..

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=kj-108130-3

Professor
Message 10 of 24 (12,581 Views)

[ Edited ]

This cleaning message is as designed for this laserjet printer.If you are printing checks, you will get this message because you are printing the long end first. The printer will also slow the printing speed down (again as designed) so that the engine does not over heat.

Again this is as designed for laserjet printers when printing customer sizes.

FYI when printing custom paper sizes: You will get this type of error message as well as a cleaning cycle when you have a paper mismatch (i.e printing paper long end first, printing custom paper sizes). Check and see if the paper size in your tray matchs the size that is set in your printer preferences.

Go to: Devices and Printer folder - right click on printer - click on printer preferences - check paper sizes.

You need to make sure that the paper sizes here match what you have in the tray. Also, check the same thing in whatever application you are printing from.

While keeping FW upgraded is always wise, upgrading FW in this case will not help this message.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation