Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Outofdate, remember....I was in the same boat as you with frustration so, hearing that your printer is now working is a huge reward for me. Really happy for you. Enjoy that HP4000 beast. Take care.
HP Recommended

BTW, Thanks for the kudo.  Much appreciated!

HP Recommended

After hunting around for several hours & testing differnt options, I just got my Win10 Lenovo Carbon to work on my legacy Laserjet 4000n (via TCP/IP port no less!)

Install the HP Universal print driver and voila- it works!  (will assume that if you do USB connection, that it'll be able to auto-detect the printer... I had to key in the IP address of the printer to get it to go)

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=4157320&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4192

For those of you who travel, the upside of a universal print driver is that you'll be able to print at most hotel business centers w/o having to install a thousand different print drivers for each hotel!

HP Recommended

Firstly after reading an involved writeup of the Microsoft Windows (10) licensing rules it was apparent you could buy an oem license for a much reduced price with the condition the license stays with the machine it is first registered to, i.e. it cannot be transferred. So if this is all you want do a search on your local guaranteed output for Windows 10 OEM and snag a bargain for average $40

Windows XP had no problem with the HP LJ 4000 Universal driver, which allowed the use of the 4000n,  t, d variants including up to 4 paper bins too!

I see no reason to doubt the availability of a driver for a laserjet/Jetdirect combo for a later marque since the memory on this dear old workhorse can be upgraded to 100MB or indeed a hard disk adapter can be added for heavy forms work. The only downside is the energy consumption where government desires to reduce carbon emissions have had all kinds of glee from the corporate world. What we the people dont have is the ability to generate our own electricity to consume how we wish to.

So the choice(s) is/are yours friend

HP Recommended

Same here, my 4000t is accessed via an external JetDirect 5000ex (multiport) and the Microsoft advice to use Windows Update in fact is correct although it takes a long time to identify and download the appropriate driver.

IT DOES WORK! I have ordered the HP JetDirect 605n plug in cartridge these too are now VERY cheap and the IP address has been added automatically to the port. I have noted the printer supports automatic personality i.e. PCL and Postscript so this should give you all the options you need. You do have to configure the detail of this capable printer carefully so go to "Printer Defaults" such that for non-US usage A4 is NOT selected as the default and such that graphics are 1200dpi 'pro-res'. My printer also has trays 1, 2 and 3 as an optional extra. Tray 4 is not installed but all the options have to be checked in as required for your own setup before any of them work! So be advised to spend time looking at what is available and dont expect anything to work until you have set it up correctly!!! Well that is as it was with Windows XP, now with Windows 10 there is NOTHING to be configured - as yet no proof the additional options are auto-configured. What a change but can Microflossed be trusted to do anything correctly? Thwritten elsewheree only way to ensure the printer behaves under Windows 10's auto-configured setup is to set the defaults and optional extras via the printer display. 

Upgrading the memory to a maximum of 100MB is now VERY cheap and is essential - the memory used to be very expensive and was not fitted by default apart for a 4MB stick. There are a total 4 memory slots.  Depending on the atmosphere, you may find washing the slots with Isopropyl alcohol necessary to clean any greasy deposits. On noaccount should you use a brush or any contact abrasive, a simple rinse is all to avoid removing the gold plating of the contacts. I have not looked for a hard disk drive plug-in but i am not utilizing a large range of default documents such as forms or flyers etc. Configure a RAM disk for some storage and make certain to allow the Maximum Postscript Memory Allocation to equal 32,000KB (an approximate magnitude for the correct maximum) for fonts to be downloaded to the printer. 

I AM NOT AN EXPERT but practicabley I hope this serves as a reasonable guide to what experts may have written up on this printer to get whatever you may need from it.

HP Recommended

Just purchased a LaserJet 4000tn and installed the HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6 (64-bit). I was able to print the test page but it can only print from Tray 1 (the manual feader try) but not from either Tray 2 or Tray 3 . Please advise on how can I configure it to use select trays automatically based on which try has paper.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Which version of Windows do you have?

If Win10 I think you will find every tray is set to automatically select whenever paper is present. So pull all the trays you dont want! Insert only the tray you do want. A ridiculous downgrade for a fab machine. WinXP the driver gives you access to individually set each tray with a paper type and so select each tray as the print job dictates based upon what you have already ID'd their content. Pay attention to what you have set up, make notes of the tray number etc. You should then keep track of refilling carefully. Perhaps this is why Microsoft withdrew the support. We are no longer thought to be intelligent enough to administer such a machine??

HP Recommended

But because I am away from my printer for the next 7 days I will not be able to give you any detailed reply to the setting up of the paper trays or with their behavior because there are no settings available from the control panel in Windows 10 without a connected printer! I'll be more than happy to help when I return.

Unless there are any experienced users who care to provide support to your questions in the meantime?

HP Recommended

I doubt THAT's true, Nizora, because I have an HP LaserJet 4000TN (the same family of printers you're talking about) and it is connected directly (by parallel cable) to a desktop PC running Windows 10 Home as well as via Homegroup to a laptop, also running Windows 10 Home......and both computers can print on the LaserJet just fine!!

Michael,
St. Catharines, ON, CANADA
HP Recommended

Hello Emanuele_99,

Please follow the steps as noted on this article http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04745752.

Please check out the following option that should resolve your issue:

The driver that works for Windows 10 x64 is the Windows 7x64 driver for Laserjet 4050 PCL6 

Driver Name is HP Laserjet 4050 PCL6 version 6.1.7233.0  - Works perfectly and with these drivers you can get  1200x1200 resolution and also control all the trays (paper-type and size) correctly.

Best Regards,

I am an HP employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.