Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro M102W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We just bought a lot of HP M102W ( and Some HP deskjet) Printers and just found out they are not compatible with out custom Windows 10 version 1607 OS image.  The printer only prints Notepad files but does not print test pages or any other files like word, pdf or from internet. I have tried the following

1, Download the latest driver from the HP website and install per the instruction [did not work]

2, changed usb cables [did not work]

3, changed printers and laptops/pcs [did not work]

4, Changed the OS to Win 7 sp1 [works]

5, run print troubleshooting [did not find anything wrong but still [did not work]]

6, run print and scan doctor, we run it and it said it fixed some things. i was able to get to print test page from that app but still

7, All HP network printers work fine!!!

USB printing did not work from any other app including windows test page wchich will  says " Test page failed to print, would you like to see the troubleshooter for assistance"

Our organization is in the middle of an upgrade to win10 and we cannot affor to just return the HP printers that we have.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@AZNet,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with your HP LaserJet Pro M102w Printer wherein it prints only notepad files.

This issue could occur if the drivers are not installed properly.

Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the links to uninstall and reinstall the software and also update the firmware:

1. Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

2. Full Feature Software and Drivers

3. Firmware Update Utility

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi

Thankyou for your reply. All the previous 3 steps have been performed and they did not help. Just as a reminder I have run the Hp print and scan doctor which exactly recommends those steps. The testpage from the HP print and scan folder works fine. As soon as I close the HP Print and scan doctor all printing stops working. Yes when the HP Print and scan doctor is on test page works and all work and as soon as i close it all printing stops (except notepad). We have HP 1320 printers and they work fine on all the pcs but all the HP M102W have the same issues. I dont think the HP M102W are faulty but they use different/modern settings and somehow the Windows 10 V1607 image at our organization might have some kind of tweaks which is not compatible with the drivers of this printers. I have also tried the Universal printer Drivers ad they have the same problems.

HP Recommended

Hi! @AZNet, I am the MrRobot. It looks like you were interacting with @Rainbow23, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Please uninstall the printer software from your PC and install the windows built in drivers and check if it helps.

Try the steps recommended below.

Install the built-in print driver over a wireless or wired (Ethernet) network connection on a computer with Windows 10 or Windows 8.
Search Windows for devices, and then click Devices and Printers in the list of results.
Click Add a printer.
A Choose a device or printer to add to this PC window opens.
If your printer is in the list, select it, click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver. You can now use your printer.
If your printer is not on the list, continue to the next step.
Click The printer I want isn't listed, and then select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.
Click Next.
Select the port to be used by your printer, such as 'USB001' for a USB connected printer, and then click Next.
Click Windows Update, and then wait for the print drivers to update.
Click HP, Hewlett-Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.
If your printer is in the list, select it, click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver. You can now use your printer.
If your printer is not in the list, click the back arrow in the upper left corner of the window two times to return to the Find a printer by other options step, and then continue to the next step.
Select Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname, and then click Next.
Select Autodetect from the Device type drop-down list.
Type your printer IP address into the text box, and then click Next.
You can find the IP address by printing either a Wireless Network Test report or a Network Configuration page. For printers with displays, the IP address displays on the printer control panel through the wireless icon or button.
Wait for the computer to connect to the printer, and then click Next to install the print driver.

Refer this article to know more information about installing windows built in drivers.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great weekend ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.