Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP MFP M477
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

First, some back ground.

If you install it properly, there is always communication from the printer. This can be proven by doing a 'Scan' from the printer's control panel. If you do that, and Windows opens a scanner tool on your desktop, you have succeeded in proving there is nothing wrong with the printer/scanner, its driver, or the associated software. This is purely a Windows connectivity issue. 

How to Proceed

1. Open 'All Settings' in the lower right 'Notifications' area of the Windows 10 desktop.

2. Click of 'Devices', then the name of your printer (HP MFp M477 whatever).

3. Click the 'Remove' button. Don't panic, this just tells Windows not to use what was loaded previously. The drivers and software are still there; it's only a linkage.  Give Windows a second to remove it and then it should be gone.

4. At the top, click the "+ Add a printer or scanner".  Windows should go off and search for your machine.

5. Several things may appear but you are looking for 'NPIA38E13 (HP Color LaserJet MFP M477xxx)', or something similar. The point is, it is what "Windows" found, and will use appropriately.

6. Select this devices and click 'Add device'.  It will chug for a while as it loads this device's linkages. When it finishes, you will see it appear in the lower list. But we're not done yet...

7. If you use an 'fdw' model, the auto duplex unit must be re-enabled for double-sided to work... automatically.

8. Click on the printer name and then 'Manage'.

9. Click 'Printer properties', then select the 'Device settings' tab.

10. Under 'Duplex unit', pulldown and select 'Installed'. Click 'Apply' or 'Okay' to save and exit.

11. Close the 'Seetings' window and go print a test doc that has at least 2 pages. Be sure you select 'Print both sides', in any print sub menu.

Now... that works. What about the scanner?

• Sorry, only the Microsoft Scanner app appears to work. Something about HP CLJM still doesn't work.

• Open the app and the connectivity should immediately appear. If it doesn't, this didn't work. I'd like to know if you still have a failure, so we can keep working this issue.

• The big test is when the printer/scanner has shut down, during the night, or after the period loaded in the printer/scanner itself (it defaults to 4 hours from the factory, but you can change that with the 'System Setup', 'Energy Settings', on the control panel). 

• What I have discovered is that the printer goes into deep sleep, after a set period. When it does that, and does not come back for a while, Windows 10 loses connectivity with the upload connection from the printer. Even though the printer works fine, somehow, Windows cannot accept communication from the printer. My steps above appear to fix that memory of the connectivity inside Windows.

• Like I said, I have tried many things, and they have not worked. Here's the list:
    Turn off anti-virus, run Scanner Doctor, re-install firmware, update firmware/software, cycle power, reconnect WiFi on printer, reset WiFi router, and install different scanner applications (notably "Windows Scanner" app).
    Each of these sometimes solves the problem, But... none of them lasts through the deep sleep period and an eventual Windows reconnect.  I even tried shutting down the printer, to emulate a deep sleep. That does not work either because Windows needs some unknown period of time to pass before it disconnects the scanner communication. This is probably a security issue inside Windows, as the scanner is an 'external' device seeking service from Windows. After a period of time, Windows locks it out.

• Time will tell if this is a permanent fix. Cross your fingers.
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I called tech support.  They re-installed supposedly a newer version of the software.  I can get it to scan as long as I use the hp scanware...I have made it work on another scan program, but still decided to upgrade to a different machine.  The warranty on the old one expiered 2 months ago, this warrantee is for 3 years, so I think it will be ultimately better.

Thank you for your help

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.