cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Walt1017
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

HP OFFICEJET 4500 Printer control panel problems

HP Recommended

Restarting printer after 4 months, display panel is lit.  But no response from any Control Buttons

This is a HP Officejet 4500, connected to a HP Laptop with Windows XP.

Thanks for any help.  [Personal Information Removed]

4 REPLIES 4
bassergitz
Level 7
861 849 46 148
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hard Reset – While printer is powered ON, pull the power cord from the printer then from the wall. After 30 seconds reconnect power to wall and printer. This will trigger a ‘dirty power up’ and restore the printer to a known good condition (if it is possible). No user settings are lost with a ‘hard reset’.
This ‘Hard Reset’ is one of the most powerful tools to use when the printer hardware is not functioning properly!

IF NOT RESOLVED, uninstall hp software & reinstall using latest hp software from hp website.
Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name : )
If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly : )
Happy Troubleshooting : )
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
kristola00
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mine control panel will not do anything!! The printer will print from the computer but I can not turn the printer on using the power button, nor can I scan, fax or anything. 

The printer has been in storage for over a year and still has plastic on it.  I called HP support lastnight and all they wanted to do is try to sell me a new one.  I can't afford it!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!! Can I save it?

xgrillizx
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My control panel doesn't do anything. The power button works, and I can print from my pc, but I can't copy, scan, send faxes, or do anything that has to do with pressing one of the control pannel buttons. It was working fine, and one morning it just.. stopped working. 

I already did a hard reset, deleted and re-installed all the drivers and took the printer back to factory setting. (I'm stuck there, the ok button won't work). I'm all out of ideas, can someone help?

Cheetah12
Retired
Retired
3,707 4,106 239 423
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Everyone.

I understand you are unable to copy, scan or send faxes on your printer. On the Control Panel of your printer, are you receiving a message stating "Scanner Failure"?

If you do not receive this message, then please open your scanner lid to verify if you see a light or not.

Please follow this entire HP document on You Cannot Scan, Copy, or Fax. If you have preformed all the troubleshooting steps in this document, then please contact HP technical support for further assistance: HP Worldwide Contact.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

I worked on behalf of HP.
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation