cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

HP OfficeJet 6500n keeps creating a copy of itself

HP Recommended

Hi All,

Have this printer for a year already and it works great. The printer is installed using in a workgroup of 4 computers, all Win7 64bits Ultimate and everything is working great with all computers sharing resources and all of them seeing and able to connect to the printer, one wired and the other 3 using the wireless option.

There is just one anoying issue... The printer is connected to one of the computers via USB and sometimes, from nowhere, it creates a copy of the printer in the Control Panel with the same name as the original one plus (Copy 1) at the end. This "ghost" printer will not print if a job is sent to it and it keeps creating trouble... I've already uninstalled and installed it many times including in the wireless connected computers and it solves the issue for a short period of time... from nowhere, from a moment to another, there it is...copy 1.

Does anyone know how to correct this issue once and for all? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Speed

Marriage for the second time: the triumph of hope over reason....
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,877
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This may be a Windows 7 issue.  Try disabling automatic Windows Updates.

Does your printer have the latest firmware?  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-89912-2&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
33 33 6 21
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, speedmaster.

Like you said the computer which is connected via USB cable, after you cunplug and replug the USB cable creates a copy of the printer icon, that is because of the plug and play feature on Vista and windows 7 (doesn't happens on Xp). In order to stop that what you can do is click on start menu on your computer>> click on search box and type services.msc and press enter. It will open a services Local window. Locate the service named as HP CUE DEVICE DISCOVERY service. Double click and open that service now select the startup type as Manual and then click on Stop button and then click on apply and ok button. This service would stop the printer to load automatically and the copy icon would not load automatically.
Hope for the best and wish you all success.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself.

Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much... it is great to talk to someone who knows what he is saying...

Cheers

Marriage for the second time: the triumph of hope over reason....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
33 33 6 21
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Speedmaster,

Thank you for the KUDOS and thank you for your appreciation. I am happy to know that the issue you were facing is fixed and with your post it may be helpful to some one else facing the same.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hi,

please help.......... i did exactly what you wrote but it didn't help, it keeps creating a copy of itself (3 copies)

BTW i have hp 6310 all in one printer and when its creating a copy of itself its its also looses the connection to the networks and i have to remuve all icones and press add printers to finde it again the printer on the network , its happend on the PC that not conected directly to the printer, its happend on the laptop that   connected to a workgroup of 3 computers

what elese i can do?

Thanks Benny

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm at a total loss.  I read direction from the HPemployee about getting rid of the ghost copies of the printer on my Windows 7 laptop ... there is no such Services (local) shown as described in his forum msg.   How do I get rid of these extra printers which are generated whenever I close down the Printers program, even though I have deleted them?  I can print on one which I define as the default, but the remaining ones eventually compete and lock it up.  Thanks.  

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation