Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6830
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi everyone.

I love my HP OfficeJet Pro 6830. It does everything I need in a printer / scanner but there is one aspect that is really starting to annoy me and my family (i.e. my WIFE!) - it keeps going "Offline".

I totally understand that it needs/wants to go into a power saving mode when I'm not using it or haven't used it for a while but at the moment every time I seem to need to use it (after I haven't used it for a while) it is listed as "Offline" and the only way I can print is to walk over to it, switch it off, switch it back on, wait for a while so it connects to my WiFi network and then have another go. Then it works... and prints the five other copies of the document that my impatient family tried to print!

The 'HP Print and Scan Doctor' says there is nothing wrong and just suggests I uninstall everything and reinstall. I've already tried that and it didn't change anything. Same problem from Windows 7 and 8.1. It can print an 'internal' test page but not a test page via Windows.

I've also tried restarting the spoler service and checked the 'File and Printer sharing' settings, firewall settings and looked at Network Discovery and run the various Windows troubleshooting tools to no avail. Nothing works, yet the HP Officejet Pro 6830 software can see it / communicate with it! This is so frustrating.

Does anyone have any ideas? This really, REALLY so annoying. Thanks in advance to anyone who donates their time to help me out. 

Reagrds,

Steve.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Steve take a look at this link posted by JonW.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Steve, take a look at this link.

Also make sure the 6830 has the latest firmware release installed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, 8lives!

RE: Solution one: Perform a power reset. At present, this is the ONLY way I can print if the printer (or Windows) decides to go 'Offline'. This becoming a pain because it means we have press print, then find out it's offline, visit the printer, power cycle, back to our PC, hope it prints etc. Usually there are other print jobs waiting from family members that just gave up!

RE: Solution two: Restart the computer and check the print queue. Not really an option. I'm not going to restart my PC or laptop just to print. In any case, the problem is the same on all Windows 7 and 8.1 devices at our place.

RE: Solution three: Download a tool to resolve the issue automatically. I downloaded the Print and Scan Doctor a while ago. It hasn't helped. It ends up telling me it can't print a test (because it's offline) but then offers to try and print an 'internal' test page using some other method (I assume by sending it directly to the IP address of the printers and bypassing the local spooler service) which DOES work!

RE: Solution four: Check the connection between the HP printer and the computer (connectivity). No problem there. It's connected via rock-solid WiFi connection. Also, the HP Printer Assistant software can coommunicate with no problems when the printer is listed by Windows as being offline. I can even use 'Scan a Document or Photo' using the HP software when it is listed as offline.

RE: Solution five: Check the print driver and the port. No problem on that front. Using the most recent driver. Firmware on the printer is set to automatically update (currently using PNP1CN1517AR). The printer is set as the default and no other HP printers have been installed previously.

RE Solution six and seven. Those totally don't apply.

RE: Solution eight. Tried restarting the spooler. No dice.

RE: Solution nine. Not applicable.

RE: Solution ten. Have already tried uninstalling all of the software from one of our machines and reinstalling.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for the assistance, 8lives!

Steve.

HP Recommended

Steve take a look at this link posted by JonW.

HP Recommended

Well, finally! Thanks, 8lives!

For anyone else experiencing this problem, just add the printer a second time using the Windows-native Add Printer dialog and set that as your default. You will end up with two 6830 printers but it's a small price to pay.

Whatever you do, don't delete the printer that the HP printer software installs as it will break everything else!

Thanks again. Your time was much appreciated.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue,

bought this printer recently and it's constantly offline, can't work with it. Wo can help me and explain simple how to solve this? It's annoying!

HP Recommended

@Anneflo, did you try Step #6 in this link.

HP Recommended
No, can you explain me step for step what to do? Thanks!
HP Recommended

Which one of the steps is giving you a problem?

HP Recommended
Are you talking about the Windows native add printer dialog? Is it possible adding two times the same printer?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.