Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740

Hello my printer won't shutdown !

The printer stay with the message "Shutting down ..." for hours, I can only power off phisically the printer, unplug the printer.

This happend sometimes, but quite often. How can I fix ?

Best regards

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello, @fctspoonman – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for joining the HP Support forums! I would glad to be of your assistance 🙂

I understand that you are facing issues while shutting down your Officejet printer. You can try a power drain to try and fix this issue. Here are the steps:

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable and any other cable connected, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Seriously? This printer will only work consistently if plugged directly into a wall socket, and not through a surger protector and not through an extension cord --- and you only supply a power cord that is 6" long, maybe shorter??? Really?

This seems to be a manufacturing fault that should be corrected either through improving the electronics of the machine and/or supply of a longer power cord. And how about putting a warning on the puchase literature that it needs to be plugged directly into a power outlet, and that means the printer can be no further away from a power outlet than 3-4'. 

Have not been able to print on greeting cards all day. I wrote earlier and am waiting for an answer.

Please nominate me to your consulting team to assist in quality improvements for your line of printers! HP needs a user group to advise on how to not frustrate customers.

Michelle Marcotte (I would appreciate a call from tech support or an HP executive at 716-299-0442)

HP Recommended

any response from HP or solution to this?  I have the same problem....

HP Recommended

Hello, I have no reply to this question about the necessity to plug directly into a wall outlet. My 7740 is now plugged into a short extension cord then directly to the wall outlet and most, but not all, the shutting down problems have been resolved. 

On this forum I heard back from Rainbow 23 about the difficulties printing on greeting card stock. He or she sent me a link to a video on setting custom paper sizes, which seems to have worked for now. Again, the 7740 seems to operate quite inconsistently because one setting will work for a while and then it won't work. So, it remains to be seen if the custom page size programing will continue to work.

By the way, if you google the email for HP's CEO, (Dion Weisler), you will find his email and they will write you back. They also then gave me a phone number and code to actually reach their exec tech support staff. They did not know the answer to my greeting card paper mismatch questions but they might have something to say about the shutting down problems.

Good luck.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.