Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Actually tried six different glossy photo papers and paper weights. That's a lot of driving and exchanging.  BS.   Finally had success with HP 53 lb paper, and a Kodak 60 lb paper.  Apparently likes the light weight photo paper.  Don't forget to wear your tinfoil cap and point one leg at the North Star (lol).  To me this is so bogus.  HP - fix this.

HP Recommended

If you can, return it.  I went through two of the 8600 Premium printers with the same issues of not printing on their own photo paper.  This issue is well documented on this forum.  After printing 400 pages of normal paper prints, it would then take in the phot paper but there are vertical marks throughout the picture from the rollers.  I took the 8600 premium back and tried an 8600 plus and it has exactly the same issues.

I bought another brand an it has absolutely no problems whatsoever.  The Artisan prints beautiful pictures that the 8600 cannot match after printing 400 normal paper prints just to get the printer to pull in the photo paper.

Good bye HP.  I will never buy another HP Product as long as I live and the 65000 + employee agency that I am involved in IT Procurement will not either.  I have been in IT for over 22 years and have never recieved the lack of Customer Service and the extremely poor products they are producing.  Try to get through to Corporate Customer Service.  They just keep sending you to a "Case Manager" and they don't have the authority or the slightest concern over resolving your problems in a fair, honest way.

HP Recommended

These printers are junk and are already being phased out.  All the try this and try that has not fixed the problems.  I recommend to everyone that bought one of these printers to RETURN them.  HP is doing nothing to fix the problems.  HP Service is horrible and I will not buy another HP product ever again.  I hope to read someday soon that HP has gone out of business due to their lack of Customer support, their no Quality standards and unreliable products.  Since they have tken everything overseas, their products and customer support are the worst of any manufacturer.

Do you think that anyone who buys a printer thinks that they are not going to be able to use it for what it is built to be used for?  The printer is not able to even print on HP"s own photo paper.  It is a great paper weight is it's only function.  HP employees apparently are not interested in fixing the junk they produce.

HP Recommended

After one year and one month after my first posting in this thread HP seems to have delivered a fix for the problem :Surprise:

There is a new firmware, which in my case really has changed something: 2013-03-21 , Version:CLP1CN1304AR

I said "seems to have", because this is just an impression after two hours of testing. The printer is now able to reliably feed the HP Premium Photopaper. When using tray 1 only, everything seems to be fine now.

Of course there are new bugs :-(. But they are not as severe as not being able to print on photo paper at all. For some applications it is not possible to adress a specific tray now. My setups is:

- Second tray installed

- Tray 1: HP Premium Photopaper

- Tray 2: Normal paper

- Defaulttray: Tray 2

When printing from Word, which uses a newer Windows print dialog, it just works perfectly. I can print photos on tray 1 or letters on tray 2, by selecting the tray and the paper before printing.

If I try the same with Lightroom or FixFoto this does not work at all. The output is send to the default tray always.

My solution is, to go back to manually inserting the photo or plain paper into tray 1. At least I can use this printer to print photos now (fingers crossed).

HP Recommended

Photoprinting still works now :generic:

I am curious, if the latest firmwareupdate fixes this issue for you too.

HP Recommended
I joust bought the printer today - April 3, 2013 - and can't print a photo AT ALL. It doesn't matter the paper, it won't print! Display says it's printing, but nothing comes out except some random characters. Maybe I pack it all up now and go for the laserjet I was eyeing? Anyone know what is causing my problem?
HP Recommended
I am having the same problem. Even bought Hp photo paper and still won't print photographs. My printer is out of warranty but if I was you take it back.
HP Recommended

Had the same problem.  Could not print on 110lb card stock.... said it was out of paper.

The cause -atleast in my opinion- the printer cannot pull the paper up past the end of the paper tray, it jams here.

Here is my simple solution (a bit of a pain in the ass but it works) change print>preferences>paper/quality>media: cardstock;  then take the end of the paper that is going into the printer and bend it up very gently.  Make sure that you do not damage the paper nor leave creases in the paper.  I did this and presto printing on the 110lb cardstock.

HP Recommended

This HP printer is the cr--pists printer I have owned. the ADF isn't worth a chit, Trying to  fax is the slow boat to China, Printing photo is challenge to say the least. And heaven help you when you run out of ink/tonner. No warning, one color runs out all run out cant figure out whats what. Ran out of the big BK cartrage, changed it and the rest ran out ugly

Guess I'll worry about it like the CEO Meg Whitman, what a joke. Last HP for me

HP Recommended

My firmware shows to be the updated version, and  I set my default try to "tray 2" but I get an "out of paper" when I try to print from Word 97 even though it shows "tray 2" in the print dialog box. Could I be missing something?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.