Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8740
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Someone got a new printer at my client and did not wait for me to show up and set it up.  They disabled USB in the setup and the reset network settings does not bring it back.  How do I reset the printer to factory defaults or re-enable the networking on the printer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi JFARLING!

If you dont see any option for Restore Factory Settings on your OJ 8740 printer, you can try doing these steps:

Note: This will literally restore all of the printer's settings, and you will need to do the "Out of the box" setup after the reset.

1. Press Power button to turn the Printer On.
  2. Press BL, BL, BL, BL Buttons, in sequence. (BL stands for Bottom Left. Normally the button on the bottom left is the back arrow. And you need to do this while the front panel of the printer is on the Home screen)
  3. Touch Support Menu.
  4. Select Reset Menu and Touch OK.
  5. Select Semi-Full Reset and Touch OK.
  6. Wait for unit to Power Down/Turn Off.
  7. Press Power button to turn the Printer On.

I hope the steps are not confusing. 

Let me know if this helped you resolve your printer problem.

Have a good day! 🙂

"Although I am working for HP, I'm speaking for myself and not on behalf of HP"
Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try Setup, Tools then Restore Factory Defaults

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
That option is not there
HP Recommended
There is no tools menu. Under setup there is no option for reset either. I'm not an average user. I've been doing this for twenty years and never seen a printer that doesn't have a basic reset like this. This is going to be the last time I suggest an hp be bought.
HP Recommended

Hi JFARLING!

If you dont see any option for Restore Factory Settings on your OJ 8740 printer, you can try doing these steps:

Note: This will literally restore all of the printer's settings, and you will need to do the "Out of the box" setup after the reset.

2. Press BL, BL, BL, BL Buttons, in sequence. (BL stands for Bottom Left. Normally the button on the bottom left is the back arrow. And you need to do this while the front panel of the printer is on the Home screen)
  3. Touch Support Menu.

Have a good day! 🙂

"Although I am working for HP, I'm speaking for myself and not on behalf of HP"
Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

@Charmaine_HP wrote:

Hi JFARLING!

3. Touch Support Menu.

Have a good day! 🙂

I discovered this method about 3 hours ago and was able to get to network menus and reset menus that worked.

HP Recommended

To get to the screen it is asking for a PIN. What if you don't recall it or don't know it?

Tina

HP Recommended

So, if you are like me, you continuously hit the blue clock-wise facing arrow at the lower left side inside the view screen and failed to pull up a reset menu. That turns out not to be the BL key described in the reset procedure. Try this: push the copy button on the view screen. This will illuminate the white counter clockwise facing arrow outside of the viewing area just below the question mark. Touch this arrow several times. The first touch will make it disappear, but about the fifth time you push here , the magical "support  menu" will appear. Scroll through the various options using the up and down arrow icons on the view screen and do a "semi-full reset" to get back to out of the box settings. The printer will turn itself off, but when you restart it, you are back to factory defaults

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.