Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Yesterday we brought new catridges and installed in the printer. an error message which reads: print cartridge problem:(tri-color) Refer to device documentation to troubleshoot.

i have taken out the catridges out and re installed a few times but no use. have wiped the bottom clean(no globs of ink) what next? Won't print or scan or anything Thanks for your help? won't print

129 REPLIES 129
HP Recommended

having exact same problem only printer is new & barely been used..in fact only used the day we set it up for a test...help anyone?

HP Recommended

I just experienced the same problem.  Ran out of black ink, installed new black XL cartridge & now getting error message saying there's a problem with the tri-color cartridge.  Re-seated cartridge several times, clean off contact points, turned off printer...all to no avail.  There's nothing wrong with the tri-color cartridge - it shows being 3/4 full.

HP Recommended

I've used my Officejet J4580 for over a year. Had no problems replacing cartridges until now. When replacing the BLACK cartridge I get an error message, " Cartrige (Black) is in wrong slot". Of any error I would think this one would be the least likely. I went thru all the suggested solutions to no avail. The fact that it completely locks up all the functions on the printer makes me think twice about HP printers.  - I was miserable with a Canon All-In-One with ink cartridge problems. What printer will I choose next. Eni Mini Moe? The ink cartridges are the biggest money makers at our expense and the games that the manufacturers play.

HP Recommended

please help re this problem

HP Recommended

Hi, did anyone get a reply to this question? I have the same problem and I do have authentic HP colour cartridge in my printer. 

HP Recommended

Actually, I just opened the door and removed the colour cartridge, blew on it, and put it right back.  Printer worked. Odd. 

HP Recommended

I finally bought a new Black HP901 cartridge for my printer and the problem got solved.

HP Recommended

started getting the same problem after I had replaced the black cartridge with an XL one on a J4680.  All original and new cartridges.  Had to remove the tri-color so I can print in black.  Suspect the issue all to do with the XL black cartridge which took 50mins to install.   Will replace the black cartridge with non-XL.   Would be nice if there was a solution that didnt mean on me losing out £20 for a cartridge

HP Recommended

Same issue with my HP 4500 all in one. Indicator showed that color cartridge needed replacement. Purchased a new combo HP 60 set. Previous black was a 60 XL. XL black showed to have ink remaining so I only replaced the tri color and I get an error. Display shows an E and an ! mark above the tri color indicator. I have followed all the trouble shooting recommendations. Still nothing. I was thinking perhaps it was a faulty color cartridge but after seeing this post, I suspect that is not the issue!

We need some help HP!!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.