cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Knomad Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Officejet 4500 WIreless not scanning

When trying to scan a document or picture to a file from HP Solutions Center, the document feeds into the 4500 OK and sounds like it is scanning.  I get then the following error 4,[(2,7,80040007),(3,7,0)]. and nothing is saved.

I can Fax, copy, and print OK. I have run PS Doctor and I get errors on Device Check, Windows(WIA) Scan, and Front Panel Test. All other test show OK. My computer is running Windows 8.1. I have downloaded the latest drivers twice, powered everthing down and back up. The problem persists.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17328 16626 898 2523
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Knomad,

I understand you are unable to scan but everything else is working well. Can you please try to scan from Paint and let me know if it works.

1. Click the Windows Vista icon (   ), click   All Programs, click Accessories, and then click  Paint.
  2. Click  File, and then click  Import From Camera or Scanner.
  3. Make any desired setting changes, and then click  Scan.

If this does not work the issue is actually with the Windows Imaging Acquisition. Please follow the instructions below.

• Please go to Pearl button (Start) and click on the Search programs and files
  • Type services.msc and press Enter
  • Locate Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
  • Right click and open Properties
  • Stop the service from the General tab and then Start it again
  • Verify that the Startup type is set to Automatic rather then manual

If however you can scan from Paint then the issue is likely with the HP software.

Please post back and let me know if these steps solve the issue. If they do not I will follow up with additional instructions for you to try. Thanks.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Knomad Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When trying to scan from Paint, the 4500 window says Scanning, the 4500 cycles, but the document does not feed. I then get an error message on the computer "Unable to retrieve picture from device. Verify that the device is properly connected and try again".

Windows Image Acquisition is set to "Automatic" as Startup Type.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17328 16626 898 2523
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Knomad,

I believe deleting the driver and re-adding it again should resolve the issue. follow the steps listed below to remove the driver from the server properties and re-add the printer.

1.In the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder

2. Choose ‘Print server properties’.

• Win XP – With no printer selected, click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
  • Windows Vista – With no printer selected, press ‘Alt’ then click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
  • Windows 7/8 and 8.1 – Select any printer in the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder and click ‘Print Server properties’ above.

3. Click on the ‘Drivers’ tab at the top of ‘Print server properties’ window

4. Choose the printer you want to uninstall and click ‘Remove’

5. Choose 'Remove driver only'

6. The next screen will give a warning, letting you know that deleting the driver package will remove it from the system. Click ‘Yes’ to say that you are sure you want to do this.

If documents are stuck in the print spooler, you may see an error, cancel any documents pending in the print queue or try restarting the print spooler,then try to remove the driver from ‘Print server properties’ again. If it still won’t remove the package, restarting the computer and the printer should resolve this ‘in use’ error and allow the driver to be removed.

1. Hold down the Windows Logo key () on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box, type %temp%
  2. Delete all files and folders from the temp folder. Choose skip if any pop ups appear saying any of the files could not be deleted
  3. Download the software and choose to save as, save to desktop > Choose your printer from this page, select your operating system and click Next, the choose, Driver ...
  4. After the software downloads and extracts, open the temp folder again, use the instructions from step 1.
  5. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)
  6. Open folderUtil
  7. Open folderCCC
  8. If you have anHP computer run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have anon-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe
  9. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer
  10. Follow these steps to reset the registry settings and options for Windows Installer.
    • Click Start, and then clickRun.
    • In theOpenbox, type msiexec /unreg, and then clickOK.
    • Click Start, and then clickRun.
    • In theOpen box, type msiexec /regserver, and then clickOK
  11. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tool
  12. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash playerhttp://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
  13. Restart the computer
  14. Open the download you saved in step 3 to install the software.

Please let me know the outcome of following the steps above. I am confident this will help to resolve the issue.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Knomad Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I got up to step 10. When trying to run "msiexec/unreg" or "msiexec/reserver" it gives me an error and says it cannot find these.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17328 16626 898 2523
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Knomad,

Thanks for keeping me posted. The instructions I gave you for step 10 were supposed to be a short cut to restart the Windows Installer. We can go about that another way, using the instructions below.

• Please go to Pearl button (Start) and click on the Search programs and files
  • Type services.msc and press Enter
  • LocateWindows Installer   windows installer.jpg
  • Right click and open Properties
  • Stop the service from the General tab and then Start it again
  • Verify that the Startup type is set to Automatic rather then manual

As you can see, these are the same steps we used for the Windows Imaging Acquisition. Once you have completed this step, you can proceed with the instructions from my previous post. Please let me know if this resolves the issue, thanks.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Knomad Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay in responding. There were a few bumps in the road, but I finally got the driver installed. It prints but still does not scan. Print Scan doctor says it is still a problem with the Driver. Same symptoms as before.

0 Kudos
Neil_Parks Tutor
Tutor
14 14 0 1
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My printer is a Deskjet 2540, but I had the same problem--I could print, but not scan.  Here is what worked for me:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/HP-2540-scanning-problem/td-p/3393587

0 Kudos
NMB-wi Tutor
Tutor
4 3 1 1
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Confirmed:  scanning works fine through Paint - one page at a time, and saved in a picture format of course.

And when I try to run HP Solution Center (which provides the interface to complete multipage scans, saved as pdf) I get this message that narrows the problem (probably).

HP Solution Center msg-install not complete.png

Thanks.  I'm about to uninstall everything again and start over.     n

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation