Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello;

Having a problem sending a fax on an HP Officejet 4500.  Continue to receive Comm Error 345 & 346. 

Need some help.

Thanks,

birdog

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

The below link should be helpful:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/buu02549

I work for HP
Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

HP Recommended

Try this webpage for a full list of error codes and suggestion solutions:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/buu02549

Here's the information for the codes you're seeing:

Error Code: 344, 345, 346,...
Definitions

* The remote machine failed to respond to a fax command from the local machine because the connection was interrupted. These errors can occur if the phone lines in the area to be faxed are old or there is noise (static on the phone line). Other reasons can include power outages and other power-related problems.

*The call-waiting service can cause this error. The click, heard for an incoming call, is actually a momentary disconnect of the line.

*The remote user pressed the Stop key while the reception was in progress.

*Under rare conditions, incompatibility between the two machines might cause the remote machine to abandon the call.

Solutions

* Retry the fax reception at a different time when telephone line conditions have improved. Call the telephone provider if line conditions fail to improve.

*Disable ECM. Errors might still occur, and might result in a degraded image quality on the received page. However, the ability to send the entire document will be improved.

*Try sending at a lower transmission speed.

Be sure to check out all the helpful videos at: hp.com/supportvideos and on our YouTube channel: youtube.com/hpprintersupport

I work for HP.
HP Recommended

I have tried everything you have mentioend and it still does not work. I read the fax, it dials the number and gets the fax tone, but when it tries to send it to the number, it times out after about 30 seconds. Any other ideas? The fax used to work when I had Microsoft but now with Mac.....it goes so far and then times out.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.