Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 9 (11,771 Views)

HP Officejet 5610 All-in-one printer error message

printer won't print; message is cartridge error: refer to device documentation to troubleshoot.  cartridges are not expired and there is no visible problem.  what else should I try:

Distinguished Professor
Message 2 of 9 (11,758 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 5610 All-in-one printer error message

[ Edited ]

Hi. Here is a document for your printer model that addresses print cartridge errors on the display screen on the printer. It will provide you with troubleshooting steps to try to fix the problem. It walk you thru how the clean  the contacts in the cartridges and in the machine to make sure that buildup in not causing the machine to read the cartridges incorrectly. Here is the link to that document.  

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Top Student
Message 3 of 9 (11,754 Views)

I cleaned the tri-color cartridge and replaced the black ink cartridge, but this didn't solve the problem.  I then tried to operate the printer with the color cartridge removed (that was the one that looked like it needed cleaning).  I keep getting the message to replace the left cartridge.  Printer wouldn't print.  I then put the color cartridge back in and I still get the original message that there is a cartridge error, see documentation to troubleshoot. What should I try next?

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Distinguished Professor
Message 4 of 9 (11,743 Views)

Have you tried a new replacement cartridge? That would be a step that you want to try if you have got another. The cartridge might be faulty. You can try to clear the error message with a hard reset. No user settings are effected with a hard reset.  Also , make sure that you have the printer plugged directly into a wall to ensure that it is getting the proper amount of power. Printers are made to be plugged into the wall directly. To do a hard reset: 

1. With the printer plugged directly into a wall outlet, and turned on, unplug the cord from the rear of the printer.
2. Then unplug the cord from the wall socket.
3. Wait at least 30-60 seconds
4. Plug the power cord back into the wall socket first. If the cord has a module in it, make sure that the light on the module is lit up and then plug cord back into the rear of the printer
5. The printer should power back on by itself, but if not use the power button on front panel to turn machine back on.

I hope this helps. 

Top Student
Message 5 of 9 (11,735 Views)

Thanks very much for your suggestion.  I replaced the black ink cartridge and tried the hard reset.  I still keep getting the same error message.  l never use the color cartridge; do I need to replace that also or is there something else I can try?

Distinguished Professor
Message 6 of 9 (11,727 Views)

[ Edited ]

I would check and make sure that the spring is still in place in the chute and had no missing. I would compare it to the chute/cartridge slot for the black cartridge to make sure that it is positioned correctly, I an including a picture of those chutes with their springs/prongs showing. I put a yellow circle around the spring. 

5610OJchutes.png

If the springs look fine I would look at this public document that goes over how to perform a partial reset.  Please take note that the document mentions and lists settings that will be effected by the partial reset prior to performing it. Here is that link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00060793

Top Student
Message 7 of 9 (11,714 Views)

Thanks very much for your kind assistance.  I went ahead and bought the tri-color cartridge and the printer is now working.  So, in the end, I had to replace both cartridges.

Distinguished Professor
Message 8 of 9 (11,712 Views)

No problem, I am always happy to help.  Have a good day and happy printing! 

Student
Message 9 of 9 (4,158 Views)

Several months ago I got a message on my All In One stating "Insert cartridge on left".   It had a color cartridge seldom

used.  I completed all the tasks suggested -  cleaning the head,  soaking the cartridge, reinstalling, etc and nothing

worked.   Then one day it just started working again without the left cartridge - go figure.   It's been working for

several months without the left (color cartridge) but today we're back to "insert left cartridge".    Oh, well. 

Will be looking for a simply black and white printer with fax.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation